UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2023, 2:19 pm   #1
Spencervs
Hexode

Default Help replacing inductor coil for motor

Hi there, I was wondering whether someone can help me identify a replacement inductor for my Kenwood Chef A701A? Unfortunately it broke and I can't find any information about them. I saw someone had drawn a circuit out that specifies that they are 5uh but when I took a reading of it in circuit, it read 1uh.

I found a similar component on eBay reading 7uh but the coil was thicker. Does it matter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230102_014133559.MP.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	271129  
Old 9th Jan 2023, 4:04 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Help replacing inductor coil for motor

EPCOS make these chokes.
Has the ferrite broken at one end? Can't you solder a solid wire to the coil? would it be sufficiently supported?

another option, use one of these
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...BoCkZIQAvD_BwE
Don't worry about the discrepancy of your measured value, it's probebly wrong anyway.

Option 3 would be to short it out altogether the main issue back in the sixties was to mitigate interference on 405 line TV.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 9th Jan 2023 at 4:10 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2023, 4:53 pm   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

the kits they do call it a 3A Epcos Choke

so i would just fit a 3a choke what ever i could source
Old 12th Jan 2023, 1:48 am   #4
Spencervs
Hexode

Thanks guys, that's all I thin ok I needed. I unfortunately snapped the wire right at the ferrite so it is unsalvageable but I found an epcos 12uh 3a inductor. Would that be ok? Also why do the values not matter much?
Old 12th Jan 2023, 1:52 am   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

As rambo1152 says, it's there to smooth interference that might otherwise get back into the mains, rather like 'suppression' capacitors. You can but try it.
Closed Thread