UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2022, 11:29 pm   #1
dmowziz
Pentode

Default Common base amplifier.

Hii...

This amplifier isn't working

Please what can be wrong?
I attached the schematic, and AC-Equivalent schematic as well

Expecting about 9dB gain but the prototype is not amplifying

Attached a pic of the board.

Thank you very much for any suggestion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB_Amp.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	270523   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB_Amp1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	270524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2009.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	270525  
Old 29th Dec 2022, 11:51 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: common base amplifier

What's the stray capacitance of L2 100mH(?!) like? Could it be shorting collector to ground at signal frequencies of interest?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Dec 2022, 12:24 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

There are a few things there that make it a good candidate for oscillation.... both at the SRFs of those chokes and also at UHF with track inductances.

David
Old 30th Dec 2022, 1:14 am   #4
dmowziz
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
What's the stray capacitance of L2 100mH(?!) like?

Hmmm... Thanks
I don't know.. Please how can I measure it?

and it is 2.2mH not 100mH. sorry

I will change to another choke soon and see
Thanks

@David... If it is oscillating at a higher frequency, will it affect amplification at desired frequency?

88 - 108 MHz Amplifier
Old 30th Dec 2022, 2:04 am   #5
dmowziz
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Could it be shorting collector to ground at signal frequencies of interest?

Thanks thanks.
That inductor was the problem. I used a toroid at hand, about 8.6 uH

Please how can I measure the stray capacitance you mentioned?
Old 30th Dec 2022, 8:34 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

The stray capacitance is distributed. From each part of each turn to each other part. It isn't directly measurable but has to be inferred from the self-resonant frequencies of the choke. There will be multiple resonances, so there are multiple valid values of stray capacitance. It quickly gets too complicated for everyday use, so while stray-C is spoken about, people use the lowest SRF, and are then careful to never try to use that inductor at anything approaching that frequency.

There are models for inductors for all the usual RF CAD packages, some are more comprehensive than others, but none are fully comprehensive. Inductor manufacturers supply data for some of these models, but again, it's not fully comprehensive and only models the part in its easy band, up to the first resonance.

Oh, and if it's oscillating at high frequency, then it can affect low frequency performance and even DC bias conditions. Oscillations run at high enough level for non-linearities to limit the amplitude. That non-linearity gives self rectification and that affects bias. The effect may be large or may be too small to notice. The oscillation can use up an appreciable portion of the device's power capability, voltage swing etc and the non-linearity gives intermodulation with the wanted signals. However, sometimes effects on low frequency signals and bias can't be relied upon to show that there is no oscillation. You can get instability triggered only when a signal drives the output a bit away from the quiescent condition, and the oscillation can be a short burst. Look with a spectrum analyser and you may see the spurious oscillation, but the power level looks low. This seems to counter the statement that oscillations drive themselves into non-linearity of some sort. Don't worry, the oscillation is large, but only for a short time and so the average power is what you measure. If you go looking for it, it's less obvious than it ought to be, but the effects are still there when you try to make a clean receiver or transmitter.

David