UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2022, 5:50 pm   #1
dmowziz
Pentode

Default Input and output matching

Came across this (highlighted) yesterday... Except to transfer max power, is matching unimportant?
I've always seen that a mixer should be terminated properly (although no experience with any problem created).

If max power is not transferred and perfect reactive elements are used for matching, where will the remaining power go to? (am I missing something?)

Right now, past 2 days been trying to match the large signal input impedance of a transistor to 50 ohms and at the same time, also predict the voltage at the base of the transistor.
I'm trying to do this to predict the output current at the 2nd harmonic (given the base voltage) and also provide impedance match at the input... Is this waste of energy?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PgD.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	270074  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 5:57 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Input and output matching

Assuming we're talking resonant systems, power not absorbed by the load is reflected... but contrary to popular belief regarding "SWR" it is _not_ dissipated in the source, it gets reflected again.

Though the resultant voltages/currents can be damaging to both the power-source and the matching components.

"Loaded Q" being the important thing here.

Smart designers dealing with potential harmonic currents use a LPF/HPF network to separate them out [just as a loudspeaker crossover-network separates the audio and feeds it appropriately to your woofers and tweeters] and dumps the unwanted harmonic energy safely into a load-resistor.