UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2022, 9:27 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default ID this Voltage Stabiliser Tube?

I’ve got a B7G “bottle” which is completely silvered inside, which looks like the 75C1 and 85A2 voltage stabiliser tubes, but the number is almost completely gone.

The war department arrow is there, but the first three characters would be a complete guess. The last three digits are either 099 or 098. I’ve tried various combinations of CV and VR numbers on Google but no luck. Anyone able to suggest what it might be?

Thanks
B
Old 10th Nov 2022, 9:41 am   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: ID this Voltage Stabiliser Tube?

Hi Bazz, I think most of the B7G types had a standard base layout. Some had 2 pins linked as an interlock for if the tube was removed, but simply apply 200V DC through a 47 K and measure tube voltage

Ed
Old 10th Nov 2022, 12:31 pm   #3
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Not a CV or VR number but could it be a M8098 ?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_m8098.html
Old 10th Nov 2022, 2:12 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think you could have come up with the right number Robert, for which many thanks. That's not a number I recall seeing before, but I'll try it out on that assumption.

@Ed, yes, if no one had come back with any suggestions I was going to look to see what the 75C1 and 85A2 connections are, and see if I could get it to light up using those.

These tubes are "old technology" but people are quick to point out that they are much more stable than zeners with respect to temperature change.

Thanks guys.

B
Old 10th Nov 2022, 5:20 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Bazz, yes best things to use in supplies over 100V and easier to get than a string of temp compensated zeners

Ed
Old 10th Nov 2022, 7:53 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I know that The Sussex valve tester used the LR8 component, and I did build a small unit with an LR8 myself. But I'm looking to supply a local oscillator and a BFO with ~100V, and the 8098 has been sitting in the junk for who knows how long, so maybe time to give it a job ?

B