UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2021, 2:04 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default ESR meter recommendations sought.

Good afternoon.
As subject.
Contemplating purchase of same.
Personal experience useful.
Input much appreciated.
T.I.A.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 5:28 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: ESR meter recommendations sought.

I use a Peak ESR 70 with auto discharge function , but I find it good practice to always discharge the capacitor anyway , I have had mine a few years now , no trouble . And its British made , Mick.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 10:27 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

I use an Peak ESR 60 the one before the ESR 70 easy to use and reliable would not hesitate to recommend them.
Look out for deals and discount codes in electronic hobby magazines.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 11:05 pm   #4
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

I think the DE-5000 LCR + ESR meter is quite popular and gets good reviews.

If you look at the 'typical' ESR chart given by Peak Atlas with the ESR70 model it shows over 10 ohms for 4.7uF. That seems to be quite high. Meters like this usually struggle to perform well with small cap values but perform really well with larger cap values, eg >47uF. It would be interesting to know if either the DE-5000 or the Peak ESR70 can correctly measure the ESR of a 'low ESR' 1uF cap.

If you want a decent handheld meter with a budget of about £80-£110 I guess it's between the Peak Atlas and the DE-5000.

I've always used a function generator, a sense resistor and a decent AC voltmeter to measure ESR. This allows the capacitance and ESR to me measured even with a DC bias applied. This is slow and a bit clunky but it gives good results even for small cap values like 1uF.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:51 am   #5
FrankB
Heptode

I swear by my Capacitor Wizard. Analog meter is more useful than the LED
ones, at least when I was doing servicing full time. I also added the 'Protection Kit" to it, in case I got across a charged cap.
In addition it comes with a full schematic - Most importantly all common parts, easily replaced, unlike some of the other brands with pic's or eeproms. Also comes with troubleshooting info, but it is a pretty simple circuit.
I found it great to trace leakage in parts, traces, coils, etc. also.
Only negative thing is, if you leave it on, it drains the battery fairly fast.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:16 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

I use a little cheapo component analyzer, similar to the "LCR-T4 M328", which can be bought online VERY cheaply.

How accurate is it for ESR? I'm not sure, but for capacitance and inductance it seems very accurate me. Its certainly a good indicator of higher ESR, which for me is enough.

I'm sure more expensive products would do a better job, but for the price its an amazing little gadget

Adam
Old 29th Oct 2021, 2:52 pm   #7
JonSnell
Hexode

I can't fault my DE-5000.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 3:09 pm   #8
agardiner
Octode

Had a few over the years, but for me, another vote for the PEAK ESR70. The best I have used.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 7:35 pm   #9
HECTOR63
Banned

Likewise I have had the Cap Wizard superb bit of kit but lately using mainly the peak but both very credible and my trusty Keysight MM with cap range too.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 2:53 pm   #10
factory
Octode

I ended up buying the ESR60 (no longer made?), as IMO I didn't see the point of the added buzzer in the ESR70 version. Also the ESR60 only does ESR up to 20Ω, the ESR70 does ESR up to 40Ω, again IMO anything above 20Ω needs to go and the ESR70 was more expensive at the time.

Have it is checking a couple of old 10uF capacitors, one is definitely past it, note sometimes the capacitors needs removing from circuit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5180a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	244611 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5183a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	244612

Avoid anything Keysight, they no longer offer any calibration, support or spare parts to private individuals or certain small businesses/self employed, thankfully I haven't got anything from them.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...61/#msg3608261
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...87/#msg3641887
Quote:
Keysight products are designed, manufactured, and tested for professional and industrial use. They are not designed or tested for personal, domestic, or household use. While we thank you for your interest in our products and/or services, we are unable to provide you with technical support without a VAT ID or equivalent proof of business license.
David
Old 7th Nov 2021, 10:03 pm   #11
M3VUV51
Banned

i made this https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=184932
Closed Thread