UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2019, 1:54 pm   #1
trobbins
Heptode

Default 3” magslip trans mk2

Came across a 3” magslip trans mk2 in some disposal equipment. It has a type number AP10455, and the terminal end has markings MU1864 and MU1865.

It has three phase stator terminations marked T1, T2, T3, and 3 phase rotor terminations marked R1, R2, R3. The ph-ph winding resistances are in the 10-12 ohm range for stator and rotor.

The only datasheet info I've come across is for a Muirhead Magslip - attached - but it is not the model I have. Has anyone come across any catalogs?

I appreciate they may have been multiple sourced under defence department ordering.

Without any information, I guess I could check ph-ph current with voltage at 50Hz that may indicate acceptable operating voltage for the windings. The disposal equipment was a large suite of 3ph power/control rack modules for uni lab demonstrations, including a 6-pulse scr converter module, so was 50Hz mains related. All the modules were made by F.C.Robinson & partners ltd; Cheadle, Cheshire.

Apart from part id information, I'm now trying to dream up some possible uses for the unit - in particular if there is anything audio effect related - or just pass it on to some restorer who may have a vintage use for it, given it cost me nothing.

Any reflections would be most welcome.

Ciao, Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magslip.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	176060  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from Mallinson-NM-1984-PhD-Thesis.pdf (280.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 7th Jan 2019, 3:34 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: 3” magslip trans mk2

I have a 'book of Magslips', it's an Admiralty publication but I suspect actually compiled by Muirhead. I'll see what I can find on AP10455.

I have an interest in Magslips, but the sine-cosine resolver type used in radar scanners as opposed to this three-phase type.

Andy
Old 7th Jan 2019, 5:58 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a much smaller single phase one of those.
You put 12V AC into the input winding and as it is rotated the output varies in amplitude from zero to maximum at 90 degrees and to zero again at 180 degrees and repeats this with an inverted output from 180 to 360 degrees.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 6:32 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

Apart from being handy if you need to aim a 16 inch naval gun they used to be widely used for synchronising different bits of film equipment together, projectors and sound recorders, for instance.

Mostly done by timecode systems now I expect.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 8:54 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

OK, Magslip AP10455 is a Transmitter, follow-through.
Both rotor and stator are three-phase star connected sinusoidally distributed.
Input to stator 50v max at 0.6 amps.
Principal use with Transmitters AP6547 or AP10456 to add differentially another signal into an indicating or error voltage control system.

Andy
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:31 pm   #6
trobbins
Heptode

Thanks Andy for the look up.

I was guessing the 'T' marking of the stator terminals represented 'transmitter', and the on-line book references indicated a typical differential control use. The 0-360 degree dial markings along with alignment lines for zero delay and zero advance seem consistent with that use.

Its the first time I've come across such a beast - it's certainly a beast compared with typical front panel control parts! I just can't conceive of any practical use I may have for it.

I did think about the very cheap 12V plug-in car inverters that are around (I've looked at and used them for valve amps) and they typically have a 494 regulator for 50Hz generation and could plausibly be synced for 3ph, and come with 240 or 110VAC outputs, but the transformer would need some alteration so not too practical unless three single phase step-down transformers were used in a star.

A smaller single phase version may be more amenable for use in an audio application, but I still couldn't think of an interesting use.

PS. I may now have a good home for it with a magslip aficionado.
Closed Thread