UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2008, 1:55 pm   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default PX4 value

Hello chaps,

I've been offered an unbranded 1930s(?) radiogram chassis in a rather basic home-made plywood cabinet for £50. It's apparently "working" and I felt lucky to notice that it was actually plugged in when I was poking around inside it

In its current form, it's not really worth giving house-space to and the price put me right off... until I noticed that two of the 8 valves were PX4s

Obviously, I detest the practice of breaking up decent equipment merely for the valves, but I find it hard to believe anyone would give this contraption house space as it is. Worst case scenario would be that the house clearance chap fails to sell it and it gets crushed or burned.

Most of all, I'm rather keen to get my hands on the 10" Rola energised speaker to repair my RAP console with.

My question... How much could I expect to sell a pair of untested but working British PX4s for?

Nick.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 1:59 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: PX4 value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
My question... How much could I expect to sell a pair of untested but working British PX4s for?
At a very rough guess, about £40 each. You will get *much* more if you can test them on a good valve tester and confirm the condition.

You should certainly cover your £50 purchase price.

Paul
Old 6th Oct 2008, 2:24 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
At a very rough guess, about £40 each...
You should certainly cover your £50 purchase price.
That's consoling, Paul. If it's still there tomorrow and I feel strong, I might grab it.

Nick.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 2:26 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You will get *much* more if you can test them on a good valve tester and confirm the condition.
Anyone willing to do this by post for me, for a reasonable percentage of the final sale value of course?

Nick.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 2:59 pm   #5
Station X

If you can't find anyone nearer I'll test them for you FOC, but do you really want to trust them to the postal service?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 3:14 pm   #6
Leon Crampin
Octode

I can echo the above sentiment - don't send valuable directly heated valves by post as the fragile filaments will probably break. (Lesson learned with PM24M).

Leon.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 3:22 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

I know someone who just paid £240 for a matched pair of PX4.
Old 6th Oct 2008, 3:30 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Paul's right Nick, about potential value but that's all it is! You take the risk in even trying to assess the PX4's. I think you would maintain your ethical stance if you point out that only the speaker and a couple of valves are of use to you, "proper" radiograms [ie in a cabinet] don't fetch anything and offer much less!

That might be "console-ing" Dave W
Old 6th Oct 2008, 3:51 pm   #9
newlite4
Octode

I recently sold a pair of boxed Marconi PX4s for £320. Admittedly these were in new unused condition, but it shows that there is a demand for these.
Neil
Old 6th Oct 2008, 10:01 pm   #10
Richard
Heptode

Hi

Over the years I have sold quite a few big triode valves and never had any problems posting them all over the world, you just have to be VERY generouse with the packing - wrap each valve in bubble wrap, then pack them into a box about 14" square with F8s or shreaded paper, then pack that into another box about 20" square. This works (well it has so far), costs a bit more to post but not that much.............

Richard.
Old 7th Oct 2008, 9:19 am   #11
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE WALSH
I think you would maintain your ethical stance if you point out that only the speaker and a couple of valves are of use to you, "proper" radiograms [ie in a cabinet] don't fetch anything and offer much less!
The trouble with that is that whoever's selling the set might cotton on to the fact that the valves are valuable and decide to sell them elsewhere at a higher price. I have known dealers destroy a set or let it rot away rather than accept what they see as a low offer.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Oct 2008, 9:24 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Rightly or wrongly, mainly due to lack of time and space, I've decided probably not to buy the set.

If anyone would like to have details of the shop (in Didcot, OX11) where it's for sale, please do send me a PM.

Thanks everyone for your input (and kind offer re. testing, Graham)

Nick.
Old 7th Oct 2008, 10:28 pm   #13
Richard
Heptode

Hi Nick

I would be interested in this unit to use in a home made radiogram which belongs to an elderly friend. It a huge thing built from Mahogany, which he bought at an auction, not realising it had no chassis in it............

I tried to send you a PM, but your mail box is full

Richard
Old 7th Oct 2008, 10:38 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Richard,

Sorry about PM box

I'm afraid someone's beaten you to it, BUT if they don't wish to proceed, I'll be in touch.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 12:06 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Mods, please close this now

N.
Closed Thread