UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2008, 11:50 am   #1
Alvin
Heptode

Default Bush EAC91 Value?

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a Bush EAC91 I've spotted coming up for auction next week? It's the MW + 2 x SW export version of the DAC90 style radios and looks to be in original unmolested condition.....

Thanks,

Alvin
Old 18th Oct 2008, 12:22 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush EAC91 Value?

Very difficult to put a pre-sale value on anything like this because it's simply down to how keen you are to own such a radio. Personally I'd stop bidding when the auctioneer shouted "Anyone gimme fifty pounds?" but someone else may be prepared to go way beyond that.

Actual worth, in the context of a fixed price, is difficult in this case anyway; it's such an uncommon radio that yardsticks are scarce.
Old 18th Oct 2008, 12:29 pm   #3
paulsherwin

As Darren suggests, it all depends how much you want it.

I don't specifically collect export radios so would view it as a minor variant of the DAC90 and rather less usable (because there's no LW), so I'd probably only pay £40 for it. Somebody who specifically collects export sets (or Bush sets) might pay as much as it takes to get such a rare set. If there are two such people at the auction the price could go very high.

Paul
Old 18th Oct 2008, 12:46 pm   #4
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Alvin,

I agree with Darren and Paul's comments there. It is going to be virtually impossible to give an accurate price. It depends entirely on who's become interested in the set at auction.

If you've got a keen Bush collector bidding for it too, then the £40-50 already suggested is going to be at the low end of the price range.

As a very rough comparison the last Bush export set that came up for bidding that I'm aware of, an ETR92, sold for a staggering £205 a few months ago on eBay!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 18th Oct 2008, 3:52 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmix100 View Post
What would be a reasonable price to pay...?
Hi Again Alvin,

I've given your question a bit more thought. As you already know, I share your interest in Bush sets and particularly this sort of export model. So if I was at the auction bidding for this set I would probably go as high as £100 at a push for it. But would hope to get it for around £70-80, which I think is a more realistic value of its worth.

Good luck with it anyhow if you decide to bid.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Oct 2008, 1:41 pm   #6
Alvin
Heptode

Thanks guys....was thinking 50-60 quidish myself though as it was just catalogued as Bakelite Radio with a guide price of £20-£30 hoped to get it for less......I couldn't attend the auction myself but a friend went for me with a £65 top limit. Bidding was fast starting at £20 from a phone bidder againt my friend who took it up to my limit of £65 but the phone went one more and got it for £70 (+ £12.25 commission) so I wasn't the only one who knew what it was!!

Alvin
Old 21st Oct 2008, 3:55 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Sorry to hear you lost out there Alvin.

But it sounds like if you'd have gone any higher then the other bidder may very well have gone higher still, obviously he/she must have known of the set's rarity and was keen to obtain it.

Better luck with the next one that turns up!

Best wishes and regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread