UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2008, 1:48 pm   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Combined Output/Rectifier Valve

Hi Guys,

Is there a UK combined Output/Rectifier valve commonly available?

The reason I ask is that there's a low output AM transmitter on an American website built around an 117L7 valve. It's used as a means to transmit "modern" audio to vintage radio's on the AM bands.

Regards

John
Old 20th Oct 2008, 2:01 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Combined Output/Rectifier Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
Is there a UK combined Output/Rectifier valve commonly available?
I don't know of one. The 117L7 is a bit of an oddball, designed for US record players. It has a 117V heater and combines a 117V half wave rectifier and an output valve in one envelope. It isn't much use in 220-240V countries.

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2008, 2:18 pm   #3
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

So, I would need to use a seoerate rectifier and output valve, unless I could use a tramsformer to provide the required 117V. The valve seems cheap enough to buy, but the transformer might not be so cheap or readlily available.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 2:19 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I think that in the UK, we tended to use early semiconductor rectifiers as opposed to diode valves with mains-fed heaters. Expecting the heater-cathode insulation to withstand the full peak-to-peak mains voltage (cathode is held at +340V by reservoir cap, heater reaches -340V during trough of mains cycle) would be pushing it a bit!

British record players tended to use a UY85 for the rectifier and a UL84 for the amplifier (or a UCL82 if fitted with separate treble and bass controls) with HT straight from the mains and heater voltage from a tapping on the motor (which therefore had to run continuously). Later ones used an EL84 (or ECL82) and a semiconductor rectifier, with the heater (and sometimes the HT) fed from a transformer.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 2:30 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
So, I would need to use a seperate rectifier and output valve, unless I could use a tramsformer to provide the required 117V. The valve seems cheap enough to buy, but the transformer might not be so cheap or readlily available.
The Lil'7 design which I think you refer to will work with a wide range of output valves, and you can just use a 1N4007 to rectify the HT. You should be using a transformer anyway for safety reasons.

You could use the pentode section of an ECL80, which only needs 300mA at 6.3V. The voltages could be obtained by using a 6V transformer, then a 12V transformer 'backwards' to provide about 120V AC for the HT.

You should of course take care to ensure any design isn't radiating a significant signal beyond your property. The forum rules prohibit the discussion of higher powered MW transmitters.

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2008, 3:29 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Or just use the 117L7 and a suitable dropping resistor.....

or get a transformer from maplin for about 17 quid...
Old 20th Oct 2008, 3:31 pm   #7
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds like the best policy. I've confused myself about thetransformers and now I've got a headache :0(
Old 20th Oct 2008, 7:04 pm   #8
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

The 12A7 output/rectifier valve can rectify up to 125 V and has a 12.6 V heater. Not sure if this is of any use to you.

Michael
Closed Thread