UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2008, 9:20 am   #1
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default leather cone surrounds

Hello,

i've found a very old (i think late 20 or early 30s) field coil speaker with a leather surround, the lether is still intact but it feels very dry and has a few thin cracks.

is there a way to soften and preserve it? i have some Neatsfoot leather oil which works great on horse tack, is it safe to use on leather surrounds?
Old 24th Sep 2008, 6:04 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: leather cone surrounds

I had a speaker like that once that had perished and had to replace it . but cant rememeber what replacement material was .This was 25 years ago ... I would have thought anything that is designed to help leather should be ok . dont get it on the cone though
Old 24th Sep 2008, 6:23 pm   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: leather cone surrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhaflinger View Post
i have some Neatsfoot leather oil which works great on horse tack, is it safe to use on leather surrounds?
Should be ok, and you might some some good racing tips Other products for leather motorcyle clothing should be ok to use. A picture of the speaker would be interesting must be quite old.

Geof
Old 24th Sep 2008, 9:26 pm   #4
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default Re: leather cone surrounds

A couple of pics...

I don't know much about this speaker, it's about 9 inches and has "made in USA" stamped on the chassis and a label with many patent numbers.

I've applied a thin layer of diluted vinavil (PVA wood glue) to the perished/cracked spots of the leather surround to keep it from falling apart, then i'll try to apply a very light coat of leather oil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	20116   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	20117  

Last edited by Jimmyhaflinger; 24th Sep 2008 at 9:32 pm.
Closed Thread