UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2018, 12:19 am   #1
linescan87
Heptode

Question Electronics postal colleges.

Breezing through some old Television magazines from the 70's this evening was looking at the adverts, wishing I could pick up the phone for some those now unobtainable parts that were once so common.

I couldn't help but notice some adverts for long distance courses in electronics, such as the "Technatron Course" offered by the BIET. Has anyone here ever completed such a course? Was it any good and did they manage to wow their friends with the modern radio they made?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_224203.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	171990   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_224012.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	171991  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 3:38 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Electronics postal colleges.

Wow that brings back some memories. When I was a lad, before my apprenticeship, I started doing a correspondance course with ICS, International Corresponds School. It did provide some decent documentation etc, and were quick to reply to homework submitted, and questions asked. In addition to all the usual magazines I bought and projects I made in my cellar, it gave me a basic start into the world of Radio. Going to Technical College, of course, was a totally different experience.
Cheers
John
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 3:44 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

My father did one of these. Not sure who it was with but I remember him being very very annoyed because they hadn’t responded to one of his letters.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 9:33 pm   #4
linescan87
Heptode

Interesting, I'm sure they probably ranged anywhere from very good to simply just scams.

Cheers, John Joe.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 9:43 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Wow that brings back some memories. When I was a lad, before my apprenticeship, I started doing a correspondance course with ICS, International Corresponds School.
You started doing it. But did you ever finish it? As for me, I had the greatest difficulty cranking out any work at all for the ICS course the BBC had enrolled me in, like all other beginner technicians. Maybe my discipline was poor... but I certainly found it deadly boring. 50 years later, at last they've stopped chasing me up!

Steve
Old 4th Nov 2018, 10:17 am   #6
John10b
Nonode

Hi Steve, if my memory serves me correctly I did finish the course. I also found parts of it boring, particularly the Maths! You can’t beat going to Technical College, were you can interact with all the other students and College Lecturers.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread