UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2015, 9:26 pm   #1
amornummi
Triode

Default DataMan "Gang of Eight" EPROM programmer

I have one of these , it works with 2716 (21v) but not with 27C16 (12v).
Has anyone got the instruction book please ?
I need to copy a 27C16 for a repair.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 10:48 pm   #2
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Default Re: DataMan "Gang of Eight" EPROM programmer

I have an scanned version of the users manual for a DataMan Gang of Eight which I would be happy to e mail to you if you PM me your e mail address
Regards
Chris G0EYO
Old 26th Aug 2015, 8:01 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The differences between 27C16 and 2716 really relate only to the programming of the devices, (and smaller current consumption of the 'C' variant) as far as I can remember.

Inserted into a system or programmer, they both look the same in read mode.

Therefore, if you set your device programmer to generic 2716 it should be able to read the code from the programmed 27C16 OK. (Refrain from trying to program the spare 27C16 as a 2716, though, because it will be damaged by the higher programming voltage).

Is there a particular reason (apart from current consumption, maybe) why you can't use a 2716 as the target device?
Old 8th Feb 2016, 10:39 am   #4
geoff_n
Retired Dormant Member

I Think that the logic levels for the CMOS are a bit different to the TTL and the GO8 won't prog the CMOS, Might be worth getting the data sheet for the cmos chip and checking.
It's a long time since I worked on the GO8, I used to repair them at Datamans. Mostly production faults.
Closed Thread