UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2015, 12:40 pm   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Damper grease

How about this?

I've used it in similar applications such as radiogram struts.
Old 5th Nov 2015, 3:30 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

That's an ordinary hydrocarbon grease with a reduced propensity to emulsify when whizzed with water. It tends to go walkies and can partially degrade to an oily liquid.

Most bearinx/axle greases use a lithium based soap component, this one replaces the soap with a calcium based one.

David
Old 6th Nov 2015, 1:37 pm   #23
Top Cap
Octode

Damper grease is probably more suitable than damper oil which may be the Tamiya stuff.
Some useful info here:-
http://insidepenton.com/machinedesig...edampinggrease
Old 6th Nov 2015, 4:14 pm   #24
ITAM805
Nonode

Could damper grease be used in pots, to bring back the 'smooth' feel after cleaning? I use WD40 (yes I know - it'll cause the earth to stop spinning or something, but it works for me) but in the process it often makes the pot feel slack afterwards, presumably by thinning the original grease. Getting the stuff in the pot might be tricky though
Old 6th Nov 2015, 8:30 pm   #25
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I'm not at all familiar with Kilopoise, but the data sheets say it is a non-silicone grease using a synthetic hydrocarbon base oil and micronised polyethylene with silica as gelling agents. There was a time when I did some work in my day job on making "gels" and so I'm wondering what it would take to make something that would do the job. The specified 220,000cP viscosity is something that I cannot directly relate to. I don't have any equipment to measure that.

So, can someone confirm that a grease based on the above constituents and which is "pretty damned stiff" (comparable to what?) is what is required?

B
Old 6th Nov 2015, 10:11 pm   #26
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There's a range of grades available here
(no connection to vendor etc)
Edit: sorry, the listing seems to have ended ages ago - it appeared 'live' when I found it.
Old 6th Nov 2015, 10:59 pm   #27
Sean Williams
Dekatron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nye-Lubrican.../dp/B00BFWLUOC