UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 5:59 pm   #21
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: Can I use a shaver plug and socket ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
The photos are good but I cannot see any voltage/power specification.
It's there on the back, just small and indistinct against the fibreboard: AC 50-60(?) c/s, 110-120V, 7(?)W.
The set was built for the NA market, 120v, 60hz. The U/L listing proves it.
It's about a 1970 model and has a Mains transformer. 7 watts sounds about right.
I checked my Norelco electric razor and it's rated at 3 watts. It's one of the later ones with the universal power input, 100 to 240volts, 50/60hz.
Dave Midwest USA.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 6:38 pm   #22
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If the converter onwww.yourspares.co.uk, and the on Amazon are the same as two I've owned at different times, they will be O.K. for powering the radio shown. IIRC they are rated at 45 watts. Please be aware though, that these are autotransformers i.e. they are not double wouind with separate primaries & secondaries.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 6:52 pm   #23
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
My initial instinct would have been to disconnect the internal power supply, and run the set with a modern "wall-wart" DC power supply designed to plug straight into a 230V 13A UK wall socket.
I agree with that. It would seem the safest way to go about it, preferably using a linear PSU rather than a switched mode type.

Regards
Symon
Old 11th Sep 2018, 7:49 pm   #24
Hartley118
Nonode

Why mess about with the set? Just supply it with 120V AC as intended.

Martin
Old 11th Sep 2018, 9:49 pm   #25
brightsparkey
Pentode

For less than a few batteries you can buy a proper isolated 240-120V transformer with US socket on the front. Go search your favourite auction site for "120V converter".

I have such a device running my flatbed photo scanner which is a US unit. Works fine. The smaller ones are just like a wall wart with a US socket on the front.

No messing about required - probably cheaper than a shaver socket..

Kevin.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:11 pm   #26
Philips210
Nonode

Those converters seem like the ideal solution but I wonder what RFI they generate especially if in close proximity to the radio. Perhaps they are well filtered. Has anyone tried using one with an AM radio?

Regards
Symon.

EDIT: The above assumes the converter is of the buck type but if a simple 2:1 iron mains transformer is employed then there will be no RFI issues. It's difficult to determine as there is little technical detail in the specs of these converters.

Last edited by Philips210; 11th Sep 2018 at 10:28 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 12:28 am   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

I got one of those converters when Maplins had them on offer some years ago. It is an autotransformer, so won't add any RFI of its own.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 3:28 am   #28
julie_m
Dekatron

The low-power converters (150W. and less) are simple auto-transformers, and do not generate any appreciable RF interference. The output is a 50Hz. sine wave (as opposed to 60Hz. as would be found in the USA or Canada). Anything with a motor will run at the wrong speed, and some transformers designed for a 60Hz. supply might overheat.

Radios (at any rate, those without clocks or record players) have no motors in them, so there is no speed problem to worry about. Japan used 100-120V. and had frequencies of both 50 and 60Hz. in different regions, so this set -- being of Japanese origin --probably also existed in a version for the Japanese market; and if so, should work O.K. on 50Hz. (It would be uneconomical to make separate transformers just for North America when the Japanese-spec model wluld be so similar; just a slightly bigger bobbin and a few more E's and I's, but potentially disastrous in case of confusion between the two.)

The advantages of using this kind of power supply are, you can keep the existing mains lead and moulded plug; and it won't involve opening the set up and messing with it internally. The converter could also be used for other 120V appliances, within its power rating and subject to the above caveat regarding motors.

Bathroom-type shaver sockets with integral transformers are usually rated 20W., but may not withstand this continuously; they usually have self-resetting thermal cut-outs to prevent overheating.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 9:07 am   #29
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Beware.

The US power plug has been snipped off and there is the possibility that a UK 13A plug will be fitted.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 10:05 am   #30
Refugee
Dekatron

Autotransformers used to be sold in 1000W lumps often with USA outlets. I know I have got one they are too big and heavy for the task we are talking about here.
60Hz for record decks would be possible if a USA UIPS of the kind that runs all the time on float charged batteries could be found. Small home built units can also be made for record player motors.
Laminated transformers weigh in at about 1KG per 100VA.
Light weight units will destroy your radio.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 11:00 am   #31
Hartley118
Nonode

Aren't we making a bit of a meal of this enquiry?

A 7-watt 120V radio needs a new rewirable plug, preferably US to avoid 240V accidents. Here's one https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/shop/n...ug-rewireable/ .

Then it needs a little plugin autotransformer such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-vo...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Easy.

Martin

Last edited by Hartley118; 12th Sep 2018 at 11:21 am. Reason: corrected second URL
Old 14th Sep 2018, 1:20 pm   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You may be right Martin but with an OP new to the Forum I think the bathroom safety issues become dominant. I tried to avoid the phrase "creating Havoc" but I have now failed. I've just read your comment about hearing loss Scott [post 18] but I can't [for the life of me] see how it relates to my post

Dave
Old 14th Sep 2018, 1:33 pm   #33
Restoration73
Nonode

Be careful with (W) wattage ratings, as these only apply to resistive loads applied to a
transformer. If your device has power requirement stated as VA, it may be an inductive
load and it may be necessary to select a transformer with a higher rating.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 2:03 pm   #34
Refugee
Dekatron

A radio has a resistive load in parallel with a half wave rectified load.
The transformer needs to be de-rated.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 2:08 pm   #35
turretslug
Dekatron

Come on chaps, it's a 7W rated solid-state radio with an internal LV PSU, the inexpensive autotransformer linked to is a 45VA type. The radio would have to be doing something unfeasibly horrible to the mains waveform to even make the transformer blink!
Old 14th Sep 2018, 2:20 pm   #36
Refugee
Dekatron

That transistor set is most likely full wave rectified so it should be fine in the transformer linked to. Care is needed if it is an AC/DC valve set though.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 7:04 pm   #37
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Come on chaps, it's a 7W rated solid-state radio with an internal LV PSU, the inexpensive autotransformer linked to is a 45VA type. The radio would have to be doing something unfeasibly horrible to the mains waveform to even make the transformer blink!
Doesn't anyone have a junk mains operated transistor radio that has a similar transformer with a 240 volt primary?
You can save a lot of money doing it that way, instead of buying a travel transformer.
Panasonic radios used a center tapped low voltage secondary mains transformer so only two diodes had to be used. That can easily worked around it if the transformer to be used doesn't have it.
Dave, Midwest USA.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 8:42 pm   #38
turretslug
Dekatron

That's certainly the route that I would take, using a respectable modern split-bobbin type with 230V primary, it it would make for the neatest plug-and-play end result- but the OP gave the impression of wanting a no-internal work outcome. Of course, I stand to be corrected here,

Colin.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 2:33 am   #39
usradcoll1
Heptode

I bought a multi-band radio intended for sale in the UK. The flex had a tag on it showing the proper way to connect a BS1363 plug. The seller connected it to a 120 volt source and said it worked well on reduced voltage.
I looked through my parts radios and found a cheapie clock radio that had a transformer that was close enough. It fit well and it works well.
It's the only practical way.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 12:02 pm   #40
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
You may be right Martin but with an OP new to the Forum I think the bathroom safety issues become dominant. I tried to avoid the phrase "creating Havoc" but I have now failed. I've just read your comment about hearing loss Scott [post 18] but I can't [for the life of me] see how it relates to my post
Sorry, Dave, if this was a digression too far but I am new to this forum! I was commenting that modern safety instructions usually cover every conceivable hazard and using the example I cited to illustrate how far this can go.
Closed Thread