UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2012, 3:43 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Posts that mean nothing to the outsider.

Hi,

I like reading posts that are outside my particular sphere of interest in order to try and learn something new (or old), but it's annoying when just model numbers, abbreviations, or mnemonics are used without explanation as I and others have no idea of what's being discussed especially in the lofty world of computing, software, firmware, architecture, platforms, etc.

For example, there is a post about FOTH on the forum at the moment. Unless one is in the know, it means nowt to anyone else!

I think it might also make the forum seem "cliquey" to possible future members and maybe put them off joining us. Is it possible to post a glossary of terms for us uninitiated? Or ask posters to to say what something is?

Rant over.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 12th Oct 2012, 4:08 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Posts that mean nothing to the outsider.

If Googling for the unknown work doesn't reveal anything, why not post in the relevant thread asking what it means? I'm quite sure that people would welcome the interest and opportunity to explain what they're working on.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 4:13 pm   #3
G0HFCFrank
Pentode

FOTH eh!! on the old Beatles message board that stood for "Fool on the Hill"
Old 12th Oct 2012, 5:56 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
...why not post in the relevant thread asking what it means?
That's a good suggestion. There will probably be others wondering too so getting an explanation in the actual thread is the most useful outcome for all.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Oct 2012, 9:33 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Within forum rule B10 is the following:
Quote:
Familiar acronyms (HTH, IMHO, TIA, FWIW etc.,) are fine but should be kept to a minimum.
One reason for that rule is to avoid the more obscure acronyms/abbreviations causing confusion as has happened in this case.

The moderators spend a considerable amount of time editing posts to make them a) readable and b) understandable to the majority, but sometimes things slip through the net. To that end and indeed as has already been said, members can always ask in the relevant thread for clarification or bring the problem to the moderators attention.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 9:38 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I just skip the odd post where there are too many and stick to not using them myself.
I leave it this way on a don't fix what is not broken basis.
If a thread is interesting enough I will ask.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:03 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

After having been in the trade for over 50 years I still don't understand everything posted here, partly of course because its outside my range of experience but a lot of abrieviations used I either don't understand or can't remember. I don't recall many of the model numbers although I instantly recognise the sets, I think this is largely a function of age but it would be nice if more explanation was given, if I don't understand a post I tend to ignore it.

Peter
Old 13th Oct 2012, 2:32 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The meaning of specific abbreviations should be discussed in the thread concerned (to keep it in context), not here. Two posts deleted.

If in doubt about the meaning of anything in a thread (whether abbreviations, terminology or something else), just ask in the thread. Most likely you won't be the only one wondering and others just haven't asked.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread