UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2019, 4:29 am   #1
Poppymarsh
Triode

Smile National Panasonic SG-2070 music centre

Hi all, just aquired a National Panasonic SG-2070, Music Centre, in mint condition. just waiting to be delivered, cant wait to get my hands on it.
Old 20th Jun 2019, 9:11 am   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: music centre

It looks like the Radio Museum has the schematic for this https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/panaso...0lsg_2070.html

Mike
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:41 am   #3
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: National Panasonic SG-2070 music centre

This is one of the music centres my dad was considering buying in the late 70's. We went to hear one I think in Lewis's in Manchester. We were well impressed, it sounded really good (especially compared to the portable radio and cassette recorder we'd been used to).

He then went on to purchase a Grinding Studio 3010 which was also pretty good but I thought the Panasonic sounded better.

Regards,
Paul
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:56 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The music centres from most of the Japanese makers in the middle to late 70’s were in general very good especially their top of the range ones.
Only bettered by using good quality UK speakers.
Old 20th Jun 2019, 8:07 pm   #5
Groovy1
Triode

I also bought one of these very recently to restore as a gift for my son. It is very good indeed. The original speaker cabinets are rather light-weight, as I think was usual in those days (to reduce shipping cost apparently) but it sounds really good and is well put together (I had to take it apart).

I bought mine as "for spares or repair". The seller was very vague about its condition but as it turned out, the only thing actually broken was the azimuth adjustment screw mounting on the tape deck, which I managed to fix by replacing the screw with a longer one I had to hand. Other than that it needed a new belt and stylus (still available) and a bit of silicone grease on the tonearm lifter. The spun aluminium covers on all the knobs were also loose but that was easily fixed with a bit of epoxy. Hope you enjoy yours too!

Last edited by Groovy1; 20th Jun 2019 at 8:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old 21st Jun 2019, 10:44 am   #6
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

I`ve got one of these. I replaced the original speakers with a pair of Cambridge Audio bookshelf speakers with the same woodgrain/black finish as the originals (I think the original speakers are shocking compared to the music centre itself), and it sounds amazing.

I bought mine as a loft find about 20 years ago for around a fiver, all it needed was a turntable belt and stylus and we were up and running. I`ve been using it regularly ever since. All I`ve had to do in that time is clean the rec/playback switch on the cassette deck as it was causing noise right through the system - that was a s*d to do! The cassette deck is still running fine on it`s original belt, which at 43 years old is amazing.

In short these are great music centres and I love mine, but do look at some better speakers if you can, it`ll be well worth the money. Have fun
Old 21st Jun 2019, 6:33 pm   #7
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Here`s mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4810.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	185473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4811.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	185474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4812.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	185475  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 3:54 am   #8
Poppymarsh
Triode

It looks wonderful.
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 12:53 pm   #9
ekjdm14
Banned

That looks gorgeous, can definitely see where my Dixon's "Prinz" music centre stole it's styling from. shame it doesn't carry the same quality! Seen a few of these branded Technics also, was this something National did at the time, or have folk "upgraded" the badges themselves?
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 2:18 pm   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Technics was (National)Panasonic's 'upmarket' brand, discontinued in fairly recent years, IIRC. I have a Technics CD Player, bought just over 30 years ago for around £170. Back then that was one of their 'budget' range. It's still working well after all these years.
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 5:35 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You say this is in "mint" condition so so let us know how you get on with it.
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 8:43 pm   #12
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Not seen one badged as Technics, but they are the same beast, just like VW/Audi etc. Cheers for the comment too, these are a nice looking music centre, and this one is a faithful old girl, heavy and built to last
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 1:12 pm   #13
ekjdm14
Banned

I'm aware of the connection between the many names National/Panasonic/Technics/Matsushita, good analogy with the German cars! I'll try and find a photo of a Technics badged version, was just wondering if it was officially sold as such or was a "homebrew" rebadging. If official I wonder if there was any upgrades/added features.

I was not aware though that the Technics brand had been discontinued! That's a shame if so, the stereo in the front room is '90s Technics (nothing special, SU-X930 et al) and it's always struck me as nice looking and decent sounding kit.
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 2:04 pm   #14
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

I didn`t know that Technics had fizzled out, such a shame, I love their kit. My SG-2070 is my office stereo, I`ve just managed to get myself one of the old school 1990`s Technics midi stack systems, which seem to have rocketed in value, for my main source of music in the lounge. I can see why they were so expensive in their day (£1200 I believe), lovely kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	185554  
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 9:26 pm   #15
jamesperrett
Octode

Technics still appear to be a current brand from Panasonic according to

https://www.technics.com/uk/
Old 24th Jun 2019, 12:50 pm   #16
Beobloke
Heptode

As above, the Technics brand is very much alive and kicking and turning out some superb stuff. I'd love an SL-1000R personally...
Old 1st Jul 2019, 3:42 am   #17
Poppymarsh
Triode

Edward, Receive the National Panasonic SG-2070L, well packaged but they never secured the turntable. so the platter came off damaged the cassette player and bent the spindle, ive straightened it as best i can, recordplayer plays lovely, not so the cassette player, does anyone know how to remove the record desk and if so check or replace the spindle.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:38 am   #18
Keith956
Heptode

Technics stuff was/is great, still got my (working) SL-7 bought in 1981 and used only yesterday...
Old 1st Jul 2019, 9:47 am   #19
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The record player spindle on this is very short "stub" type and it would take much force to bend this.
Are you quite sure this is actually bent - or just dislodged in its mounting?
I think you might seek some redress on the Seller.
Also, if the cassette mechanism is faulty, what is the problem there?
Old 1st Jul 2019, 3:04 pm   #20
Poppymarsh
Triode

it was very well packed i filled 5 bin liners with the paper packaging, but they didnt have any knowledge of record players as they never secured the inside
of the lid ,but i did get back a part of what i payed and im satisfide with that it plays records beautifly, now the spindle has some side to side movement,when i screwed the deck down to examine it i heard a click from under the turntable.
Closed Thread