UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 9:16 pm   #1
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Auritone 16D8 clock radio

This unit was another car boot find that cost me a quid. I had a clock radio as a present from when I was a kid and always wanted to own one again with a VFD. This specimen has a nice bright VFD which must have a similar phosphor to a EM84 from the phosphor fluorescence colour.

After basic lead and plug checks it powered up fine but the radio had no FM and a loud 50c/s buzzing on LW and MW. Must be mains smoothing then! By substituting a 1000mfd electrolytic cap on the end of meter leads I found the culprit, a 1000mfd 10v cap had dried out and corroded one of its leads. A replacement cap went in OK and a good clean of the case followed. Performance is good on all wavebands. The polystyrene/acrylic/polycarbonate faceplate appears to have been scrubbed with a scourer in the past and is a bit cloudy which does spoil the appearance considerably. I tried Cif/Vim/Jif which did not make much difference. I will carry on researching clear plastic restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190527_001.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	183978   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190527_003.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	183979   Click image for larger version

Name:	auritone.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	183980  

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 27th May 2019 at 9:22 pm.
Old 27th May 2019, 9:20 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Auritone 16D8 clock radio

Unusual with that colour display for the time, I have had good results with metal polish on Perspex if its just scratched.
Steve.
Old 29th May 2019, 7:22 pm   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

Love a good VFD & that colouring does look different to many I've seen. As to the faceplate, perhaps one of the car headlamp restoration kits would bring it back. I have used Brasso (the wadding type) to good effect previously on both scratched and yellowed Perspex.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:55 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Gosh, that's brought back memories with a jolt! My last employed job of 20 years and that was my workshop clock (had a seperate hifi for the radio). Always kept good time and was plugged in the whole time I worked there. The VFD versions of this sort of thing were way more classy than LED IMHO.
Old 29th May 2019, 11:12 pm   #5
hamid_1
Heptode

Good result so far. It's always nice when you find a childhood memory electrical item at a car boot sale for a bargain price

Like others, I've had success at removing minor scratches and scuffs from clear plastic using Brasso metal polish. I use liquid Brasso, rub it into the scratched surface with a cloth then let it dry. Then spray on some furniture polish like "Pledge" and use a soft dry cloth to rub off both the dried Brasso and Pledge together. This also works for those clear plastic record player / turntable dust covers.

Usually the vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) clock radios had a blue or green plastic filter fitted to the display which gave it a more intense colour. I wonder if someone removed it from your clock radio in the past? I'm comparing it to the VFD clock radios I have, all of which have an added filter. The "Interstate" one in my post here, has a blue filter: https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...9&postcount=24

I have a big collection of clock radios, from 1950s valve radios to present day DAB/DAB+ models. Various clock types too, mechanical, electric analogue and electromechanical digital (flip and roll-over digits), electronic display (VFD, LED, LCD with LED backlight) and clock radios combined with other media (cassette recorder, 8-track cartridge player, CD player, TV, SD card, MP3) or AUX input for anything else. Perhaps I should do a post about one or two that I've restored. I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. Since the 1980s clock radios have been so cheap that people don't usually consider them worth repairing. I'm glad you fixed yours!
Old 30th May 2019, 7:45 pm   #6
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Thanks guys for your stories. I tried the Brasso & Pledge method and it has brought the faceplate up much better (and looks better in the flesh than in the pic below). There is still some scoring and a strange squiggle mark which actually looks like a contamination of the plastic as it radiates out from the injection point. I showed this set to my daughter explaining that this was my main form of entertainment before I got my Hi-Fi at 16.

For years I never realised what a VFD actually was until the orange glowing cathode wires, the honeycomb grid and the anode with the fluorescent target in a flat glass package with a evacuation pip on the back and a splodge of a getter seemed to be like a valve...

This set only has a thin black mask with clear windows behind the slightly blue tinted faceplate so allowing the full brightness and colour of the the VFD to show.

That Interstate clock radio is a beauty. My Nephew picked that exact model up at the same car boot a few years ago and I have been on the look-out for one ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clockradio.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	184189  

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 30th May 2019, 8:10 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

If I remember correctly these were sold in the “Kaleidoscope” shops and mail order by the same company in the 70s. “Kaleidoscope” published occasional little catalogues with various items, some electrical. I had a LED alarm clock which had a tilt switch to activate snooze. Of course “Kaleidoscope” still send out catalogues but they stick to ladies’ interests now.
Peter
Old 1st Jun 2019, 4:07 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Good result, well done! Several decades old and only one faulty component, which when you think about it has probably been powered-up most of its working life. This radio is from the late discrete solid-state PCB era, which I find to be amongst the most reliable and easily fixable electronics ever produced. Things went downhill after ICs, firmware and SMDs started to appear!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread