UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2020, 9:56 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default ED15TV1 high voltage diode spec?

Hi,
I recently received some ED15TV1 diodes along with some BY182's from a kind forum member.

I wanted the BY182's for EHT rectification purposes for rebuilding triplers in 625 line TV's. Other people have used these with success, but the question is: would the ED15TV1's also be suitable for this purpose?

I guess the crucial parameter is recovery speed, given that they would seem to be rated at 15KV.

There seems to be very little info on the 'net, the best I managed to find was a data sheet in Chinese!

So, does anyone have any data on these devices? Especially the maximum frequency they will work up to?

Many thanks
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 28th Jun 2020 at 9:58 pm. Reason: text altered
Old 28th Jun 2020, 11:32 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: ED15TV1 high voltage diode spec?

It's easy to construct a shaky cascade of assumptions- but I would guess that a 15kV rating and the inclusion of "TV" in the part code meant that they were effective at least to the frequency associated with the flyback pulse component of 525/625 line output stages on the grounds that mains EHT systems were a long time in the past when they were made.

Colin
Old 30th Jun 2020, 8:55 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: ED15TV1 high voltage diode spec?

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the reply. I've been trawling the 'net again, but can only come up with the one, rather unclear data sheet.

It shows t rr (ns) as 500, but also shows a diode symbol with (micro second) in brackets.

t rr would seem to be recovery time, but as to whether it's 500 nano seconds or 500 micro seconds, I'm not sure.

So I then tried to find the t rr for the BY182, but no luck with that either! At least I could have compared the two!

Maybe I'll just have to do some experiments with them at some point and see if they work in a tripler configuration.

Cheers
Nick
Closed Thread