UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2019, 1:22 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Question Car Radio Aerial Fly leads-are they still available?

These are leads about a foot long, which have a standard Car aerial socket at one end, and are terminated in a short length of bare wire at the other. The cable is the once-standard 150 ohm coax. used on car aerials. These were used by many makes of Car radio in the 60s & 70s, possibly later, but can they still be purchased today, along with the small in-line RF Chokes which went in series with the aerial lead? If so, from where may I buy them?
Old 20th Nov 2019, 2:39 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Car Radio Aerial Fly leads-are they still available?

Plenty of extensions with the old-style car-aerial plug one end and a matching socket on the other (or an old car-aerial plug one end and a DIN41585 aerial-socket the other) are available from the usual sites, in a range of lengths, costing from a couple of quid upwards.

I'm unfamiliar with the chokes you mention.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 5:54 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
.....the small in-line RF Chokes which went in series with the aerial lead....
As I recall, the in-line RF chokes were sometimes found in the 12V lead to the radio. Never seen any in series with the aerial cable.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:44 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

G6, I'll look into that option, which I've used in the past. At one time Halfords used to stock extension leads, but, as you say, they should be available on-line. Dazzlevision, all I can tell you is that all car radios with which I've ever been involved have a small RF choke in series with the aerial input. I'm not sure what inductance these chokes are, or, if I'm honest, what frequencies they are designed to reject. Presumably in the case of most MW/LW radios, frequencies above 1.6Mhz. LF and RF chokes were fitted in series with the DC supply line in pretty well all car radios as well, as you say.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 8:00 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Like I said, I've never seen "RF chokes" in the antenna-feed.

I do vaguely remember something about extra series-capacitors being used in the antenna-feed when lengthening the cable; this being because to best couple a spectacularly-electrically-short antenna to the first tuned-circuit a lot of car-radios fed the antenna directly to the upper end of the first-tuned-circuit, to the point where the antenna's capacitance and that of the feeder were significant.

The radios made some assumptions about the length/capacitance of the antenna-feeder. Lengthen the feeder and there's more capacitance - which could, in extremis, mean that the "antenna trimmer" built-into the radio couldn't adequately compensate for this.

So some antenna-extension-leads had a series capacitor to try and decouple the extra lead-capacitance from the radio's front-end.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 1:23 pm   #6
terrykc
Rest in Peace

We had a drum of this special cable and made up extensions on demand. Most were for folk who wanted the aerial on the back of the car.

We used Egen connectors rather than the usual naff ones around which were ideal because the cable clamp was at the opposite end of the body to the centre pin and the cavity was the ideal place for a polystyrene connector.

I made up a look-up table of the capacitor value to suit various extension lengths. One wire was cut short where it was soldered to the inner of the cable and the other wire became the centre conductor to solder to the centre pin.

An Egen line socket on the other end of the cable mated with the original plug and made for a very neat job.

It was quite a large cable drum and, of course, we only ever sold it in very small lengths so there was still a lot of cable on it when I last saw it 50 years ago!

When the owners of the business retired and it closed down, one of their engineers took over the servicing side and, when I visited him some years later in new premises, I recognised quite a few items from my past - including my old bench mirror!

The business still exists so, perhaps, the remains of that cable drum might still be around!

Here are the details if you want to investigate:

https://www.yell.com/biz/grays-elect...grays-1301069/
Closed Thread