UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2019, 4:42 pm   #1
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Default Manual for Marconi TF2430

Hi,

I've recently acquired a TF2430 (10 at the King's Lynn Radio Rally). I could do with a Service Manual. (As could we all for all our beloved kit.)

In a previous thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=152804 WME_bill posted a PDF of a scan of the service manual. Sadly it seems to be missing pages 15, 16, and 17. (I'm guessing 20, 22, and 24 are blank or non-existent because they face the three schematic pages.)

So, does anyone have a more complete version they could let me have?

Strangely, page 19 lists all the components on the display board EXCEPT the displays themselves. Does anyone know what sort of device they are? My guess: MAN72A.

Thanks, Brian.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 7:08 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Manual for Marconi TF2430

Marconi TF2430 counter.
I must have had a blank moment, or my wife called for supper.
I will scan the missing 3 pages and post the complete corrected manual shortly.
Thank you for pointing this out. Sorry about this.
wme_bill.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 8:13 pm   #3
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Bill,

Thanks for that. I had guessed that the missing pages involved distraction by either cups of tea or pints of some sort.

Brian.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 12:41 am   #4
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Hi Bill,

I've been looking at the schematic on page 23, bottom right. Is it just my imagination or is there an incorrect link shown between the junction of D19 & D21 (negative of the bridge rectifier) and the bold horizontal 0V line? The 0V line should end at C40 shouldn't it?

Brian.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 12:30 pm   #5
WME_bill
Octode

TF2430 counter 80Mhz.
I now attach the complete manual, with circuit diagrams on A3. I have included the "missing"blank pages 22,24,26 to re-assure you. They are just the reverse side of the A3 circuit diagrams.

I have looked for any type identification for the 7 segment LED displays. None on this manual, nor on the manuals for other Marconi counters which I have. I suspect there were so many makers that they just fitted what was cheapest at the time. So your suggestion seems as good as any other, by Monsanto, Litton, National, Motorola or who ever.

Yes, it certainly looks as though you have found an error on page 23. The draughtsman was so used to drawing one side of a bridge to zero that he forgot that the configuration here is two separate bi-phase rectifier pairs, with the zero from the transformer centre tap. Unless we make your correction, there can be no negative rail.

The manual is too large to post as one which probably explains why I missed out some pages last time.
I have split it and post as two parts.
Wme_bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TF2430_counter-wm_Part1.pdf (1.50 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf TF2430_counter-wm_Part2.pdf (1.01 MB, 9 views)
Old 10th Aug 2019, 6:44 pm   #6
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Bill,

Thanks. Looks great.

Cheers, Brian.
Closed Thread