UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2004, 7:58 pm   #1
shibbynat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Stereo Radiogram Value

Hi, I have a ferguson stereophonic radio record player and would like to know more about it. It is about 5' long with large speakers at either end which are covered with a beige gold weave, the radio is on the front in the center and has a small distinctive neon blue "tune" light tube. Below the radio is a small cupboard, maybe for storing records in. The record player is under a hatch on the top right hand side. the cabinet is highly polished and of a medium dark wood. It has brass trimmings on it. It stand on legs about 12" off the floor it is in full working order and in great condition with only a few minor scratches.
If anyone can tell me more ie: Age. Value. Model etc i would be very greatful.

The model number is 3304 just found it on the back!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:13 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2004, 8:08 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Stereo Radiogram Value

As for value, unfortunately these things are almost worthless. They are loads of stereograms around, invariably in excellent condition and working, but collectors aren't interested in them because of their size and blandness.

If you are looking to get rid of it, the best thing to do is to try to find a local collector who could make use of the chassis (assuming it's valve), record deck and maybe speakers, then take the rest to the tip.

Sorry to bring you bad news!
Paul.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:08 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2004, 8:45 pm   #3
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

The Ferguson 3304 dates from about 1964-65. An interesting feature of this set is the output stage, it used a design common to some Fergies and HMVs of the period by which two stereo output stages used on the record player were combined into a mono push-pull stage for radio, stereo broadcasting not existing at the time this set was built.

I'm afraid that Paul is right about the value, because of their size these radiograms are difficult to store and collectors prefer table sets which are more in demand and easier to place in a home. So, unless you have a buyer who wants this particular model (and I suppose it is possible, if not very likely) keep the set and enjoy its performance. You never know, in years to come it might become collectable!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:09 pm.
Old 30th Dec 2004, 5:33 pm   #4
shibbynat
Retired Dormant Member

Ok thanks for your help with this. I think I'm going to keep it along with my others. I don't think any are worth much, but I cant help buying them.

Cheers, Nat

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:10 pm.
Old 30th Dec 2004, 5:53 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you like stereo radiograms, you have a great low-cost hobby there! While people are almost giving away the items you collect, you can chuckle to yourself about the prices us radio collectors are paying for our treasures!

Maybe in a few years they will become more collectable and valuable - rather like vintage television has in the last five years. Then you really will be laughing!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:10 pm.
Old 31st Dec 2004, 8:42 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Nat

I would love just to have the room to collect these unloved treasures - I would soon fill it, though, with RGDs, Deccas, Grundig Mandellos, and even (this will upset some!) Rigondas!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2005 at 3:11 pm.
Closed Thread