UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2019, 11:37 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai 1710

Can any one explain to me the above recorder playes tapes recorder on any recorder perfectly all the way though.But if I record on it it playes ok until the last three-quarters or so of the tapes on playback the last freequarter it sounds wavy or wabally only the last bit rest of the recording is ok why is this any one know please as I said tapes taped on other machines ok all through
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 9:47 am   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: Akai 1710

It would be an idea to do a few basics such as clean the tape path particularly the capstan and pinch wheel, internally check the drive belt and lubricate the whole deck mechanism. The problem could be related to take up and back tension being wrong. If you go over the whole deck like that you may cure the problem but even if not, at least you have a solid starting point
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 9:50 am   #3
saxmaniac
Heptode

Also check the motor has enough torque to run steadily, suspect the run cap if not
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 2:17 pm   #4
Dorian27
Heptode

Hi thank you all for help .But I found the tape itself to be faulty after trying to re tape on a friend's recorder same thing happened with the tape now in bin.
Closed Thread