UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2019, 11:59 pm   #21
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Sony Profeel KX-27PS1 Block Capacitor Alternative

Well done nice one, these are fairly complicated sets, stock faults (even though there are few listed for this model) are getting a bit meaningless when the sets get to this age.

That fault could have been caused by a multitude of items, just goes to show though that key/supply voltages are still the things to check first
have a well deserved and a well deserved pat on the back from me too.

Ps. a quick small correction Q512 does not have a Collector, it has an Anode, Cathode and Gate, it is a gate controlled switch the circuit symbol in Sony diagrams is a bit strange, but still well done though

Last edited by Red to black; 29th Nov 2019 at 12:12 am.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 3:51 am   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Nice work!

Tube on it way out or not, you got a great offer for some, I'm sure they will be able to find their way to you.

For those who want to view the schematic but are having trouble to connect to the upload site, the original source is also on the internet: https://freeservicemanuals.info/nl/s.../Sony/KX27PS1/
Old 29th Nov 2019, 5:14 am   #23
arjoll
Dekatron

If anyone really wants a massive Trinitron, I've got a 2005 SW292 they can have FOC. With matching stand. Works perfectly. Pickup only though

No idea if it does PAL-I though. We were B/G.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:41 am   #24
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If it's just a dim red flash I wouldn't worry - a bright one with flyback lines might be a concern though. However I'm sure it'll settle down. Well done on the repair - it pays to stop and think before diving in.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 9:00 pm   #25
Retrorepair
Pentode

Thanks guys, it's incredibly satisfying and such a nice image now!

Next issue

The corners are gaussed and the built in circuit seems to be working.

I seem to recall having this issue on another Sony set years ago and it turned out the metal frame inside was heavily magnetized. Not sure that sounds right in my head no I'm typing it but maybe the experts can help

The other set I used for parts had the exact same problem so hoping its both common and easy to sort!
Old 29th Nov 2019, 9:29 pm   #26
Red to black
Nonode

Check that the scan coils are fully forward, you may have to loosen the clamp to push them forward.
The tape that Sony used then, below the clamp, used to shrink thus moving the coils further back, this was quite common at one time.

Ps. if that is the case then you will probably need to re-adjust the geometry and maybe the H-stat after you correct the position.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 10:55 pm   #27
Retrorepair
Pentode

I never would have thought to try that but makes perfect sense. I will give it a go!
Old 1st Dec 2019, 12:46 pm   #28
Retrorepair
Pentode

Hmm, scan coils seem to be as far forward as they'll go.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 1:40 pm   #29
Retrorepair
Pentode

The degauss to be honest doesn't sound quite as powerful as most Sonys I've had, maybe the thermistor pins need reflowing. One for another day I think.

One other thing I've noticed is 60hz signals seem to "wobble" a bit. Like they're not quite 100% in sync. I may have to see if a vhold adjustment helps.

Overall a cracking tv anyway, will update with my findings.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 4:11 pm   #30
Red to black
Nonode

Thanks for your reply.
It was just a suggestion to check the scan coils position first as this was a particular trait of Sony's of this era, it may have saved you some time chasing a fault that had known causes.

Oh well, be interested to see what the cause really is.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 9:10 pm   #31
Retrorepair
Pentode

I appreciate the input, better I think with things like this to try known issues first.

It feels like a landing issue as if it was the thermistor I'd expect it to be much worse than a couple of corners but we will see!

When I first plugged this in I had two bookshelf speakers against it which I've had against every sony tv I've had but this one doesn't like it. Even when they are removed there's the slight gaussing but it is worse when they're there. This is what makes me think it's an issue with the degaussing circuit since I'd think it should be strong enough to counter the magnetic field.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 11:25 am   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd be surprised if it was enough - I've found any speakers nearby (except the special shielded ones Sony supplied) are enough to upset the TV. I'd get them out of the way and manually degauss the TV before thinking about the scan coils.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 9:22 am   #33
Retrorepair
Pentode

Just to update on this, I finally got round to taking a look at the "gaussing" on the corner, adjusting the purity rings "fixed" this.

I think really this just masked the real issue which likely lurks in the deflection board so I shall take another look at this.
Closed Thread