UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2018, 11:37 am   #1
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Aiwa TPR-210 Take Up Belt Question

Has anyone ever found a suitable replacement for the take up/FF belt on these machines, As it has no slipping clutch on this function rubber belts are no good as they grip too much.
Any ideas
Gary
Old 28th Jan 2018, 6:54 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Aiwa TPR-210 Take Up Belt Question

Hi Gary,

The thing about some Aiwa cassette machines, as well as R2R machines their designs were both innovative and at the same time a pain when they got old. I have come across other Aiwa machines that used a round belt that acted like a friction belt and then as a tension drive when a separate pulley wheel was swung across onto the belt in the FF mode. Is yours the round or square belt ?

Some Sony early cassette machines were made by Aiwa and they suffered FF problems.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 9:58 am   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Tony
Looking at the hub on the capstan and the base of take spool it looks like it uses a flat belt with the FF tension wheel as you describe, this is the first time I have come across this arrangement, I tried a bit of stretchy elastic but this didn't work to well at all, I would like to get this going as it sounds very good, there is a guy on ebay selling 4 non working BASF machines 3 of which are the same as mine but I am thinking the belt is probably gone in those aswell
Gary
Old 29th Jan 2018, 12:56 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

I know this may sound stupid but, I can see from a pic on the web, that your Aiwa has a tape counter which should run off its own belt from either the take up spool or the rewind spool.

The reason for asking, is that Hitachi TRQ-299's are also notorious for having Play & FF problems (as well as Cue & Review). I have 8 of these and ALL of them suffer from the same problem; the counter belt shrinks & hardens and when replaced the problem is reduced.

It's worth checking the counter & its belt on your Aiwa just in case. It'll probably have no influence on your Aiwa but worth checking it out.

P.S. Don't buy any Hitachi TRQ-299's !!

Last edited by camtechman; 29th Jan 2018 at 1:01 pm.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 3:48 pm   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

Tony
What a nice looking machine the Hitachi is I could get duped by those smart looks, if only the Aiwa were so simple, yes the counter is driven off the REW hub, I don't even have it connected whilst this is going, I was sorting some belts that might be a bit loose and will give them a go tomorrow, or using a bit of grease/silicon so the belt slips in the play mode but doesn't slip when in FF due to the pressure roller................I am a dreamer me thinks.
I will take some pictures aswell
Enjoy your Hitachi
Gary
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:48 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Gary,

Good luck, keep your chin up and, as like me with getting just one of my Hitachi TRQ-299's working, adopt the attitude "Oh well, It could be worse, it could be Russian !"