UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2011, 6:31 pm   #1
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default RA17 Tuning Scale "Glass"

Hi All,

I've just been informed by my brother that he's bought me a Racal RA17 ( we should all have brothers like that )

Although I've been "window shopping" for the past eight years I've never been in a position to buy one - where would you put it says SWMBO! - or examine one close-up.

To quote the description - "perspex missing from tape window"

Could someone please tell me if it *is* perspex or glass and how easy or otherwise it will be to fit a replacement.

Regards from a childishly-excited Lee!
Old 7th Aug 2011, 7:57 pm   #2

Default Re: RA17 Tuning Scale "Glass"

I think it is just a plain window, get a nice bit of glass cut by a framer, they use thin glass and have anti reflective stuff too. Well worth it for such a set.

Old 7th Aug 2011, 8:09 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: RA17 Tuning Scale "Glass"

Off-hand, I can't remember what the original is - but I'm sure that it isn't glass - although that would do the job, of course. I'd try thin perspex and Araldite.
Some dismantling will be required: black knobs and front panel off, so that you can get behind the front panel to fix the new 'window' in place: not a very difficult job.

Al.
Old 7th Aug 2011, 9:28 pm   #4
Brased
Hexode

It's plastic. They tend to come unstuck and you may find that the original has just dropped down and is still inside the case. It is possible to stick it back without dismantling but taking care not to damage the film scale. Alternatively so far as I can see the escutcheon is only held in place by clips on moulded spigots and could be removed by carefully levering it forward.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 7:26 am   #5
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Thank You all very much for your replies.

I have a strong suspicion that the knobs and front panel will mysteriously come off in my hands anyway when I get it - well, they will need cleaning won't they

I did wonder if the perspex may have fallen off and was lying on the bottom of the receiver somewhere. Using picture frame glass is a good idea, that's something I could cut to size myself.

For now, I'll have to wait paitiently for a week to see what I'm getting - a Mark One/Mark Two? a Mark Three? Phew! the suspense is killing me already

Best Wishes, Lee.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 8:58 am   #6
vosperd
Hexode

The original is 1/16" thick perspex. It's 1/1/4" wide. I've just measured a broken bit so I don't have the exact length.
As mentioned in a previous post there is a good chance that it has become unstuck and fallen behind the front panel. That happened to me when I cleaned one once. A decent set of imperial allen keys is useful for removing the front panel.
Don m5aky
Old 8th Aug 2011, 12:32 pm   #7
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

There's a thought!

I assumed that Allen screws would be used but never gave a thought to the fact that they would be Imperial sizes.

I've had a look at the set I have here at work and there is a selection of Imperial sizes in there so I should be OK on that score.

Regards, Lee.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 6:03 pm   #8
Brased
Hexode

Just over 6½ inches long with the corners bevelled.
Old 9th Aug 2011, 7:06 pm   #9
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Thank You for those measurements.

Bevelled corners Eh? just to make the job easier

Best Wishes, Lee.
Old 9th Aug 2011, 8:21 pm   #10
Brased
Hexode

The exact size doesn't really matter too much as it just sticks to the flat back surface of the escutcheon (and then falls off as the adhesive fails ). There isn't even a rebate to retain it. It is not one of the better design features of the RA17.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 9:31 am   #11
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brased View Post
There isn't even a rebate to retain it.
Ah! that'll do me.

I did wonder if the corners were bevelled because the perspex had to fit into a rebate.

Thank You Again, Lee.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 11:38 am   #12
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The corners are cropped because otherwise the edges would go over the raised part of the escutcheon moulding the perspex is glued to.

I'm pretty sure it is perspex, but maybe polycarbonate would be fine as a replacement.

There were people on ebay selling perspex offcuts from which you can cut a piece to fit. The original was 1.6mm (1/16th but 2mm will do. I wouldn't use anything thicker. I used superglue, but I'm not sure that's the best choice.

it isn't a job you can very well do without removing the front panel, which isn't difficult.

Pictures attached of an RA17 escutcheon with original perspex windows.

Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	54905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	54906  
Old 10th Aug 2011, 4:20 pm   #13
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Thank You for that.

For bevelled I was reading chamfered

The pictures are very useful, they've given me an idea of what to expect. There are two 48"x12" lengths of perspex at work of about that thickness - I wonder if they'll notice that one is two inches shorter than the other
Old 10th Aug 2011, 5:32 pm   #14

Quote:
The pictures are very useful, they've given me an idea of what to expect. There are two 48"x12" lengths of perspex at work of about that thickness - I wonder if they'll notice that one is two inches shorter than the other
Cut a bit of each!

Old 10th Aug 2011, 7:07 pm   #15
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The original measures 6 1/2" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" as said in earlier posts.

For the corners, measure down 1/4" from each corner and cut across.

I had a look on ebay and there are loads of people selling bits of 2mm perspex and polycarbonate sheet for a couple of quid. Some say they'll cut to size. I couldn't see any thinner than 2mm and I wouldn't use anything thicker. At least one seller is offering A4 sheets for about £3 including P&P.

Pete.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 8:24 pm   #16
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

If you should need (difficult shaped) real glass :
Round-edged ,edged,beveled, chamfered or if you need holes in it.
I can do that for you.

Best regards
Ben Dijkman

www.bendijkman.nl
Old 16th Aug 2011, 5:33 pm   #17
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

I'm sorry, I haven't been ignoring your replies.

I got the RA17 a bit earlier than expected and I've been shoe-horning it onto my desk!

I've had the top cover off and as far as I can see the perspex hasn't fallen behind the front panel. As it happens, I've found some perspex at home with the protective film on it so I will use that; assuming,that is, I manage to do the "easy job" of removing the front panel - not when the grub/set screws on the knobs are siezed

Thank You all for your help and advice so far.

Lee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor 032a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	55201  
Old 16th Aug 2011, 8:02 pm   #18
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frglee21 View Post
assuming,that is, I manage to do the "easy job" of removing the front panel - not when the grub/set screws on the knobs are siezed
Get some good quality Allen keys that are tight fit, especially for the grub screws. Cautiously apply WD40 if needed. Hope the grub screws haven't been chewed up by someone else.

That said, I haven't had any serious problems with removing the knobs on RA17s or removing the front panel. Removing the front panel is a ten minute job at most I find.

Pete.
Old 1st Sep 2011, 8:00 pm   #19
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

I'm sorry for the late final reply here but once again "Back To Skool" has been getting in the way of more interesting things

Plusgas freed up the grub screws so I was able to remove the front panel and fit the new perspex.

Once again, Thank You all for your replies - the photographs and measurements were especially useful.

Best Wishes, Lee.
Closed Thread