UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2020, 10:05 am   #1
eaglework
Pentode

Default Passed Foundation Level RSGB exam. First rig?

Hi All,
Having just passed my Foundation level exam with the lock-down online system I need to get on with acquiring some suitable kit!
For anyone thinking about having a go at getting licensed the whole process was really easy and worked fine - there is plenty of material online and books available from the RSGB etc and some valuable information on this forum.

So, without wanting to launch a product/supplier flame war, are there any suggestions or recommendations?
If it helps I suppose my main interest is in HF and I have the garden space to cope with decent sized antennas (subject to wife sign-off - but I expect a tower would not pass that test!)
Thanks
Jon
Old 7th Jun 2020, 10:34 am   #2
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Default Re: Foundation level RSGB exam

Jon

Congratulations

That's a "how long is a piece of string question"!!

In "peacetime" I would say make a visit to your local shop(s) and try a few radios to get a feel and some advice

What is your budget?

Are you wanting new or happy with "pre enjoyed"?

In "my opinion" the Icom IC7300 is a great radio and will do what you want. Also the Yaesu FT450

As to dealers if you go for mail order check with Dan G3VM, he has very keen prices.

as we say "73"

Fred
G4BWP
Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:27 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglework View Post
Hi All,

So, without wanting to launch a product/supplier flame war, are there any suggestions or recommendations?
Congratulations and welcome!

Recommendations? Yes, one very strong one.

Your first radio, the one that first gets you on the air is always something very special. Not because of it in itself, but because of what it means to you.

The multi-tiered licence structure creates a new problem. A radio compliant with the power limitations beginners are saddled with is probably not going to remain very satisfying once you have a go at the later exams.

Even in the days when it was one bigger step to a full licence, after getting a first radio people learned a lot from them. They found things they liked and things they didn't. First radios were rarely long term companions as people found out things about the way their interests were going only after they'd got on the air.

RECOMMENDATION:

Don't try to buy your lifetime radio first go.

Don't spend too much

Buy something second-hand. You can always sell it and pretty much get all your money back when your interests focus a bit. If you buy something and decide you really can't get on with it, then there is no disaster.

There is a temptation to hit a showroom full gleaming stuff with a credit card and see what you can get before the plastic melts. Resist! You might want to do so later, but do some learning and some finding out about yourself first.

I started off with a 2m crystal controlled homebrew transceiver someone I knew was selling. Had a lot of fun and my first QSOs.
Next for HF I had a Racal RA117 receiver, then I found a Redifon GK203N exciter which gave me a whole 200mW on transmit. So I built a 10W power amp for it.
Next, I bought a 10W 2m multimode FT480 second hand. No longer crystal bound! wonderful.

Then I spent some big bucks, pushing £3k in 1991 on a gleaming brand new Icom IC765 with filters, speaker, desk mike. I still have it... superb set.

In the following thirty years, I've bought one more HF transceiver (IC7700, second hand) and a new 2m/70cm/23cm multimode.

So in terms of total turnover of transceivers over fast approaching 40 years i've had far fewer than most people.

Be careful with advice from people. Just because a lot of people say something doesn't make it true.

I bought an IC7700. Most people would tell you to avoid them like the plague for two reasons:

1) it only has one receiver, so it cannot be any good for DXing. Well, I may have two ears, but I only have one brain and I can only really concentrate on one signal at once. If I want a second receiver to monitor other bands, I already have a lot of them. They don't have to be built into the same box.

2) The power amplifier transistors in that radio have a terrible reputation for blowing up. Well, that's true. But I know why! Icom designed this radio to work with their own overpriced linear amplifier. It has extremely fast PIN diode transmit/receive RF switching, not the cheaper relay types more common. Use a more mainstream linear amp and the RF switches go over after the IC7700 is running full power. This creates large transients that the protection circuits in the 7700 can't handle and before too many presses of PTT, Kaboom!

I don't use linear amplifiers, and If I built one, it would have to be a fast changeover one. Problem handled!

Get on the air and have some fun. You'll form your own opinions of what you want to do and what best fits those interests.

David
Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:51 am   #4
raditechman
Heptode

The IC7300 is one of the best selling amateur radios and I know many people who have one. A good rig for HF. Recommended

If you want something a bit cheaper and cover 2m/70c as well as HF try and IC7100. Or slightly dearer but also HF/2m/70cm a Yaesu FT991A

I would also suggest a manual ATU not a an automatic one.

John
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:25 pm   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I think the above mentioned rigs have high power transmitters so they might be a big temptation to a foundation licence user when he fails to be heard through the QRM.

I have always thought the Yaesu FT817 might be a good starter radio as it is low power, covers a lot of bands in all modes and is battery-portable. This makes it easy to take it to remote locations better suited to being heard QRP if your garden turns out to be a disappointment.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:26 pm   #6
Kentode
Octode

Well done!

I'd recommend buying something second hand from a dealer who takes part exchange, that way you can upgrade as you progress.

Hope that helps.

BVWS member
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:32 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

One radio which would fit this remit very well would be the Icom IC-703, all HF +6M, 10W output power. Unfortunately Icom withdrew them far too soon so where they do come up the prices are staggeringly high.

Another nice, quite basic and compact HF radio which can be set to 10W, 50W or 100W output is the Kenwood TS-50 which sold in quite large numbers and so theoretically ought to be ubiquitous and cheap, but they appear to be quite well regarded and again, not especially cheap second hand. See also the Alinco DX-70 which is Alinco's 'equivalent' of the TS-50 and, unlike the TS-50, has 6m built in as well.

For an 'Everything in one box' transceiver look at the ICOM IC-706, but try to get a later model as they were improved over time and the earliest ones did not include 70cms.

Consider also the Yaesu FT-747 and FT-757.

The Chinese have done very well producing cheap VHF / UHF handheld radios which can be used by amateurs in theory although there is a question mark over whether they meet the 'approved amateur equipment' for Foundation operators.

It's a pity the Chinese don't also seem to have entered the market with cheap all-mode HF transceivers in the same way... or have they?
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:35 pm   #8
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The Chinese have done very well producing cheap VHF / UHF handheld radios which can be used by amateurs in theory although there is a question mark over whether they meet the 'approved amateur equipment' for Foundation operators.

It's a pity the Chinese don't also seem to have entered the market with cheap all-mode HF transceivers in the same way... or have they?
They have but I forget the model. Mostly low power ~10w and "general coveage" Tx and RX

Fred
G4BWP
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:52 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Yes, after a little look around I see models such as the Xiegu G1M, around 20W all mode. Very small, I am almost tempted. Almost.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:59 pm   #10

You don't need much power, 5W is enough to get the world. And having low power means the neighbours won't get TV interference, not that it would be your fault, saves hassle though. I have a bit of kit I will never use, sent a PM...

Old 7th Jun 2020, 2:31 pm   #11

I have sent eagalwork a PM regarding a bit of kit surplus to my requirements.

Old 7th Jun 2020, 2:31 pm   #12
eaglework
Pentode

Thank you all for taking the time to make your suggestions - I can feel a spreadsheet of options, pros and cons, etc coming on!!
In the meantime please keep them coming.
I'm to bothered as to whether its new or second hand so I will trawling around the dealers and that other auction site.
Jon
Old 7th Jun 2020, 2:36 pm   #13

Look at your PMs!

Old 7th Jun 2020, 4:42 pm   #14
ex seismic
Heptode

You don't mention your budget or your repair capabilities. These can affect your choice. I would recommend second-hand from a dealer, that way you don't spend too much and also have some sort of warranty. Also take into account for HF you also need a power supply and an AMU. Personally I prefer rigs with lots of knobs rather than minimalist knobs but with lots of menus.
Gordon G7KNS
Old 7th Jun 2020, 4:49 pm   #15
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi yes the Xiegu G1M works ok i use one for portable cheep light and small, I use mine with a half wave end fed Mick
Old 7th Jun 2020, 5:00 pm   #16
eaglework
Pentode

Very many thanks to Merlinmaxwell for his very kind offer (which I have accepted) to donate an FT817 to get me started whilst I consider all the other suggestions and ideas from forum members.
Another example of the how generous and supportive people on this forum are to others - long may it continue!
Old 8th Jun 2020, 7:37 am   #17
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I have sent eagalwork a PM regarding a bit of kit surplus to my requirements.
Well done that man!!
Old 8th Jun 2020, 5:38 pm   #18
James Duncan
Pentode

Default Re: Passed Foundation Level RSGB exam. First rig?

Great that you have passed the theory exam,welcome to a enjoyable hobby.
I would advise that you get a seasoned amateur to teach you the Practical aspect of the hobby
I am delivering on line tuition via Skype for the RSGB exams and I firmly believe that the now "not required " practical tuition is a great loss as many who pass the exam will not even know how to operate a rig, call sign procedures, correct antenna construction ets.
People who have signed up with our club are accepted on the condition that they attend our practical course later.
I am sure there will be plenty members in your area who will help you.
MM0HDW https://www.qsl.net/ms0fnr/index.html
Old 8th Jun 2020, 5:52 pm   #19
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Re: Passed Foundation Level RSGB exam. First rig?

Congratulations on passing the exam.

Best regards Chris
Old 9th Jun 2020, 12:58 pm   #20
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglework View Post
Very many thanks to Merlinmaxwell for his very kind offer (which I have accepted) to donate an FT817 to get me started whilst I consider all the other suggestions and ideas from forum members.
Another example of the how generous and supportive people on this forum are to others - long may it continue!
awesome . now with a gel battery and some experimantation with fishing poles and wire you can also get outside and play with vertical antennas/portable work

its amazing how many contacts you can male on the likes of 20M with a wire vertical.
Closed Thread