UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2020, 6:37 pm   #21
eaglework
Pentode

Default Re: Passed Foundation Level RSGB exam. First rig?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and guidance.
With Merlinmaxwell's kind donation I can avoid any (well almost any!) temptation to make a spur of the moment decision on buying something.
I need to get my confirmation from the RSGB and then do the Ofcom bit before I'm legal, I suppose, so a little while longer to wait.
Jon
Old 9th Jun 2020, 7:01 pm   #22

No need for the gel battery, it has one (a battery, not gel type) inside it, good fun making a 1000 mile SSB contact on 80m with a weeny aerial and 3W of RF while out for a walk.

We all have different ideas about amateur radio, mine is being able to transmit on loads of bands and have a reply just because I can (legally). I rather lose interest when it works, time for the next project.

Old 10th Jun 2020, 12:24 pm   #23
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
No need for the gel battery, it has one (a battery, not gel type) inside it, good fun making a 1000 mile SSB contact on 80m with a weeny aerial and 3W of RF while out for a walk.

We all have different ideas about amateur radio, mine is being able to transmit on loads of bands and have a reply just because I can (legally). I rather lose interest when it works, time for the next project.
oh yes of course, I was thinking of the fun I had with my 857 during the summer doing garden portable.

Ive just got hold of an old Yaesu fT-767 to complement the FT-736, strung a wire outside last night and was that 16 year old lad again with his first radio ( I had one of the first FT-757's)

Id forgotten how good a decent quality analogue radio sounds ( and how easy it was to pedal RF gain, attenuator, and AGC to maximise reception without searching therough menus)
Old 10th Jun 2020, 1:55 pm   #24
greenstar
Octode

Hi Jon,
I would be interested in a Foundation licence. Am I correct in thinking from what you say that the course can now be taken online?

'For anyone thinking about having a go at getting licensed the whole process was really easy and worked fine - there is plenty of material online and books available from the RSGB etc and some valuable information on this forum'.

Looking at the RSGB website, the information seems to be still to find a local course.

Best regards,
Tony
Old 10th Jun 2020, 3:12 pm   #25

If I where doing amateur radio again the foundation license sounds brilliant from RSGB
"You are then free to operate on the most frequently used amateur bands, without supervision, up to a power of 10 Watts."

More than enough for most things, you have to use "official" kits or commercial gear. Most hams do that anyway.

Old 10th Jun 2020, 3:18 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

For the same reasons as the exam being on-line, the course will have to be on-line too.

People speak quite well of the essex ham group one

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

and many of the exam centres including the essex gang will organise the on-line exam.
We've just done that at the Kingdom Amateur Radio Society because lockdown intruded between our course and the exam the following weekend. 3 out of 3 passes.

The foundation level is very basic, so once you're up to speed, you might as well aim at going through the whole lot. If you've been doing radio for some time then the technology will be comfortable and you just have to get familiar with the licence conditions and anti-interference measures.

David

Should have said... there are enough of us on here to answer any questions you need. Feel free to PM me if needed.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 4:52 pm   #27
eaglework
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Hi Jon,
I would be interested in a Foundation licence. Am I correct in thinking from what you say that the course can now be taken online?

'For anyone thinking about having a go at getting licensed the whole process was really easy and worked fine - there is plenty of material online and books available from the RSGB etc and some valuable information on this forum'.

Looking at the RSGB website, the information seems to be still to find a local course.

Best regards,
Tony
Yes, you can now apply to sit an online Foundation exam - it was a post on this forum that alerted me to the opportunity.
The RSGB website wasn't that easy to navigate to work out how you do it and it does still seem to direct you towards your local club unless you dig a bit deeper.
I emailed the RSGB exam team and they were very helpful and responsive - exams@rsgb.org.uk.

In terms of learning/revising for the exam I bought 2 books from the RSGB, one covered the syllabus and another with lots of example questions (the one I got covers all 3 levels not just Foundation). You can also download a few mock exams and other course content information from the RSGB website.
I had the benefit of some prior knowledge from my time as a SWL, albeit 40+ years ago, and as Radio Wrangler says the level of knowledge required is not massive.
I have already started looking at the Intermediate material but that will have to wait until either local clubs can restart or the RSGB offer an online option - the challenge in that will be how the practical elements are dealt with.

By all means PM me if you want any more information.
Jon

Last edited by eaglework; 10th Jun 2020 at 4:54 pm. Reason: added email address
Old 10th Jun 2020, 8:04 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Intermediate exams may be currently put off, Jon, but don't put off the learning/coursework. Have a gentle go and get yourself comfortable well ahead of the resumption of any semblance of normality. If covid19 continues much longer, someone at RSGB HQ will be starting to get nervous about the cessation of new people into the hobby and that translates into subscription paying RSGB members. Actually, I believe there have already been discussions but whether they're at the tripping point of doing something, I don't know. They may still have to arrange a non-contact intermediate and full exam if, say, Scotland continues in lockdown. We have to periodically remind them about the 'Britain' in their name

Once you've got the momentum going, keep on going. It's a lot easier than stopping and starting. Later stuff tends to help cement earlier stuff in place.

David
Old 12th Jun 2020, 5:46 pm   #29
eaglework
Pentode

All good points Radio Wrangler.
In fact, so good I have ordered the Intermediate Course work book from the RSGB.
Got my certificate today and have done the Ofcom bit so I now have my call sign.
Just waiting for a well stuffed jiffy bag from Merlinmaxwell to land (gently) on the porch floor I will be out there come rain or shine!
Old 12th Jun 2020, 6:50 pm   #30

Got your call sign so quickly! Brilliant, this modern technology is so good, mine took weeks to arrive (a very long time ago). I was a member of the RSGB a while ago and got one of their "call sign" badges, I still have it on my latest motorcycle jacket and wear it with pride.

I hope the jiffy arrives gently!

Old 12th Jun 2020, 8:41 pm   #31
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I still have it on my latest motorcycle jacket and wear it with pride.
Spiffing idea! Bet it gives ANPR cameras a bad dose of confusion.

David
Old 19th Jun 2020, 12:39 am   #32
Nicola_Jayne
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglework View Post
Hi All,
Having just passed my Foundation level exam with the lock-down online system I need to get on with acquiring some suitable kit!
For anyone thinking about having a go at getting licensed the whole process was really easy and worked fine - there is plenty of material online and books available from the RSGB etc and some valuable information on this forum.

So, without wanting to launch a product/supplier flame war, are there any suggestions or recommendations?
If it helps I suppose my main interest is in HF and I have the garden space to cope with decent sized antennas (subject to wife sign-off - but I expect a tower would not pass that test!)
Thanks
Jon
Well done Jon, I've also recently passed the Foundation (M7NYH.I've currently got a cheap and cheerful distinctily non-vintage 2m/70cm HT and a less cheap and cheerful one on the way.

Saving up before i take the plunge with HF, but VHF/UHF wise I was chatting with another ham who rates ex PMR kit for 4m /2m /70cm and I suppose some of that probably falls within remit of this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
I think the above mentioned rigs have high power transmitters so they might be a big temptation to a foundation licence user when he fails to be heard through the QRM.

I have always thought the Yaesu FT817 might be a good starter radio as it is low power, covers a lot of bands in all modes and is battery-portable. This makes it easy to take it to remote locations better suited to being heard QRP if your garden turns out to be a disappointment.
I think the FT817 is out of production now replaced with the FT818, but I think from the looks of it it makes a nice option for a foundation licence holder as a QRP set if you have the spare cash to purchase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duncan View Post
Great that you have passed the theory exam,welcome to a enjoyable hobby.
I would advise that you get a seasoned amateur to teach you the Practical aspect of the hobby
I am delivering on line tuition via Skype for the RSGB exams and I firmly believe that the now "not required " practical tuition is a great loss as many who pass the exam will not even know how to operate a rig, call sign procedures, correct antenna construction etc.
People who have signed up with our club are accepted on the condition that they attend our practical course later.
I am sure there will be plenty members in your area who will help you.
MM0HDW https://www.qsl.net/ms0fnr/index.html
That presumes the following:-

1. People don't have VP (or other modes) experience elsewhere - it also quietly forgets that before the tier licences there were no practical tests.

2. That people taking the plunge on the licence don't already have some technical skill.

3. Your club is not OFCOM (fortunately thanks to your RSL an 'eyeball' would require some significant effort).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglework View Post
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and guidance.
With Merlinmaxwell's kind donation I can avoid any (well almost any!) temptation to make a spur of the moment decision on buying something.
I need to get my confirmation from the RSGB and then do the Ofcom bit before I'm legal, I suppose, so a little while longer to wait.
Jon
The RSGB are turning it round within a few days at present and the OFCOM bit can be done in a few minutes once you have your pass certificate in your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Hi Jon,

Best regards,
Tony
There are courses running online (I did one of those) or you can just get the manual from the RSGB, self study and book the test (for which you do need a desktop or laptop computer capable of running the Testreach software and Webex, a webcam (or a phone with decent camera) and a stable internet connection.
Closed Thread