UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2005, 5:35 pm   #1
gaveldot
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Amplion Dragon Speaker Problem

I am writing on behalf of a collector who lives in Mato Grosso, Brazil.
He recently acquired an Amplion Dragon speaker and in his words

"the cover of the driver which connects it to the metal horn, arrived
broken."

" as your origin is Great Britain, I would like to know if it is possible to obtain a new (old) cover or even a driver to substitute the broken one. I will pay the costs, of course"

I have an image of him in a jungle clearing, lying morose in a hammock with a stack of early Caruso, and Nellie Melba 78's: his ancient gramophone without a working speaker.
[...But then he could always download the MP3 files from the Web :~) ]

My thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

gaveldot

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 10:35 pm. Reason: Defunct web link removed.
Old 3rd Aug 2005, 9:58 am   #2
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Re: Amplion Dragon Speaker Problem

Hi,
He will be lucky if the winding is not open circuit. It should be about 2000 ohms. Amplion seem to have used a standard big thread for attaching their drivers to horns. The dragon driver is however rather larger than some. I would personally keep an eye on e-bay and see if another less distinguished amplion horn appears and rob the driver from that. Although the driver cover is cracked, an alternative repair with epoxy adhesive would probably get it going.
Cheers
Nigel

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 10:31 pm. Reason: Brought in line with previous post due to link removal.
Closed Thread