UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:34 am   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default AF118 transistor in Leak Stereo 30

The Leak Stereo 30 amplifier has two AF118 transistors in the driver stages of its power amplifier. The AF118 was designed as a PNP video output transistor for portable TV sets like the Perdio Portarama, and has an unusually high V(c-e) max. of 70V. This is needed in the Leak design because the HT rail is at around 45V, necessary to get a decent output into 15 ohm speakers without the need for transformer coupling.

Normal Germanium transistors can only manage 25 > 32V so cannot be used in this position. I've always got away with my favourite method of removing the transistor and throwing it on the bench as hard as I can 3 times when the 'tin whiskers' problem appears, as well as cutting off the screen lead. It worked with the one that I've been repairing today, but what can one do if it doesn't? Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative for the AF118 in this position?
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:49 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: AF118 transistor in Leak Stereo 30

I first repaired one about 40 years back, even then I ended up using a BC461. I noted
a shortwave radio signal (pick up on speaker leads) was audible - this was cured by
connecting a 1nF disc ceramic across the b-e junction on the copper side. It didn't
affect the audio.
I sometimes need transistors in the TO5,TO39 case style and I use these :
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/314702.pdf

Last edited by Restoration73; 5th Jul 2019 at 10:57 am. Reason: Data added
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:33 am   #3
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: AF118 transistor in Leak Stereo 30

The best replacement for the AF118 is the 2SA358, I have never had one affected by whiskers (unlike the AF118). I have replaced all the AF118's in my germanium TV sets with the 2SA358. They do have unique specs for a germanium, both in the voltage rating and combined high frequency capable department. They also make a very robust output stage for a small AM transmitter.

(I spent some time finding the better replacements for the AF114-to AF117 series, not neglecting the AF118 about 20 years ago when the writing for the demise of this entire series was on the wall and also found that the AF178 or 2N2084 were ideal for the AF114-7 series).
Closed Thread