UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2018, 2:43 pm   #81
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Rega Cartridge Impedance Help

If it's significantly out of specification/open circuit it will need replacing, if inexperienced, when replacing components replace one then test the unit before replacing another etc etc.

Having said that, I would consider getting someone who's qualified to sort out the amp etc.

Lawrence.
Old 9th May 2018, 2:48 pm   #82
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thank you Lawrence, you've been very helpful.
Old 9th May 2018, 3:08 pm   #83
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufo Bill View Post
I looked at some YouTube videos last night, and some seem to suggest that you need to unsolder one end of the resistor before testing. I would much like to hear from my friends here if this is the best way of testing?
As a general rule, in a valve circuit, you can usually get away with testing a resistor in-situ; but in a semiconductor circuit, it's always best to disconnect one end before testing.

This is because semiconductor junctions might be turned on by the test voltage; but a cold valve is never going to conduct.

That being said, if there is something in parallel with a resistor that you are trying to test, you could get a false reading. If in doubt, always check the wiring diagram.
Old 9th May 2018, 3:14 pm   #84
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Julie, that's a very useful piece of advice, it's probably nothing to you but a little light went on in my brain then! I see why no one mentioned it now! Many thanks.
Bill.
Old 9th May 2018, 4:37 pm   #85
Radio Wrangler

Every time a little light goes on, something becomes clearer and you can do something more, and most importantly, you've prepared the ground for the next little light to go on.

Some things are seen by some people as being so basic that they never mention them, and this creates a big step confronting the beginner. It's not intentional or malicious, it's just that some things are so familiar they become invisible.

Progress!

David
Old 9th May 2018, 5:07 pm   #86
Bufo Bill
Heptode

I've decided to replace R16 myself. Cathoderay57 (Jerry) has offered to help if I'm stuck after that. Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Bill.
Old 9th May 2018, 8:52 pm   #87
cathoderay57
Nonode

Bill, before you start checking all the resistors hold fire a minute. R16 on the circuit diagram (assuming we're using the same diagram with the same numbering system) is 2.2M (red-red-green) but wired across S5 so when S5 is closed it will read short circuit (or 0.something ohms as you found). If you push the buttons in and out one by one with power off you should read R16 as a couple of Megohms. R16 is nothing to do with the HT supply so it's a red herring. With power on, you need to measure again the voltage between the "top" of R32 (25kohms) and chassis. It should be 330v or so. If it is zero then you don't have any HT voltage coming from the power amplifier. Either the plug has come out of the power amplifier, or there is a broken wire inside the plug, or the HT supply in the power amplifier has failed. Hope that helps. Cheers, Jerry
Old 9th May 2018, 10:16 pm   #88
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Cheers Jerry, very thankful you noticed that. I'll have another go tomorrow, and I'll be sure to keep you all updated.
Thanks from Bill.
Old 10th May 2018, 6:26 am   #89
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It will have the effect of making the cartridge slightly less compliant in the L-R difference direction, up/down. Lenz' law.

Given the winding impedances and the velocity to voltage coefficient of a typical cartridge, I think it's fairly slight.
Cartridge conversion efficiency, power out/power in, is around 0.01% (*). The electrical loading effect on cartridge compliance is thus likely to be on the negligible side of fairly slight – nwwa.

Cheers

(*) According to Burrows, Wireless World 1971 July p.322.
Old 10th May 2018, 7:23 am   #90
Radio Wrangler

Yup, that's slight Well, I nearly chose 'The Mad Metrologist' as a forum name.

I think Burrows was talking about piezo-electric cartridges as well.

The Bailey-Burrows (and later Quilter evolved it further) preamp was quite interesting and introduced the idea of running a ceramic cartridge into a low impedance load and a charge amplifier. An easier impedance to make with bipolar transistors, but at the expense of needing equalisation.

I tried it with both Deram and 9TAHC cartridges, and I liked the results.

David
Old 10th May 2018, 11:42 am   #91
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The OP has struggled long and hard with this. I commend him for his perseverance. It this does go back cross-country to Huntingdon, please do report back on that legendary Quad service.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:39 pm   #92
julie_m
Dekatron

Another way to look at is is through the Principle of Equivalence.

If loading a ceramic cartridge like that didn't work, you would have found a way to distinguish between a position sensor, and a velocity sensor / integrator combination. Which would go against all the laws of mathematics and physics. So it has to work.

If you take the abovementioned velocity sensor feeding into an integrator and put too small a resistance across the output, it keeps the capacitor from charging and effectively ruins the integrating action; giving you a velocity sensor with a simple resistive potential divider on the output. And you must get exactly the same thing if you connected a small resistance across an actual position sensor, because you can't tell the two apart looking only at their interfaces with the outside world -- i.e., the electrical terminals and the movable part.
Old 10th May 2018, 1:29 pm   #93
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Hi all, the good news is I have 355V at R32. My mistakes previously were caused by plugging the QCII into the mains via the extra socket on the side of the pre amp. Either there was a problem with the socket or the extra cable I had lying around. Next I will get those anode, cathode, and screen measurements you asked for. I am reading that on ef86 anode is pin6, cathode is pin3, and is screen pin1?
Thanks for your help.
Old 10th May 2018, 1:43 pm   #94
Bufo Bill
Heptode

EF86 Anode (pin6) 92.9V, Cathode (pin3), screen grid (pin 1) 1.44V.
Cheers from Bill.
Old 10th May 2018, 1:53 pm   #95
ms660
Dekatron

If the screen grid does measure 1.44V disconnect one end of C16 and measure the screen grid voltage again, if the same or similar check the resistance of R22.

Lawrence.
Old 10th May 2018, 2:00 pm   #96
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Sorry, ballsed that up. Pin 6=92.9V, Cathode Pin3=1.44V, screen grid pin 1=69.4V.
I do apologise old chap.
Bill.
Old 10th May 2018, 2:03 pm   #97
ms660
Dekatron

The voltages seem reasonable for a working valve.

Lawrence.
Old 10th May 2018, 3:54 pm   #98
PJL
Dekatron

Are we back to working but low volume?

If the EF86 were low gain then due to the RIAA feedback network I would expect the high frequencies to be OK but the bass to be lost.

What do you mean by low volume? Is it just a different level from other channels or are you unable to get adequate sound levels from it even at full volume?

I would also like you to try without the parallel connection on the cartridge. This is for 2 reasons: a) you might have wired them out of phase b) I am not convinced it will track correctly if wired this way.

Last edited by PJL; 10th May 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Old 10th May 2018, 4:31 pm   #99
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I am not convinced it will track correctly if wired this way.

You could short out both coils without affecting the physical behaviour of the pickup - not that you'd hear anything, of course...
Old 10th May 2018, 5:43 pm   #100
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Guys I think I have found the problem. When I plugged back in after cleaning the switches the volume problem was gone, but there was the same old distorted signal. I thought maybe the problem was as Synchrodyne said, so I tried the R2 unit which has an impedance of 50KOhms. The problem was still there. I looked at the cartridge again. Something has gone horribly awry, the cantilever is misshapen and bent. I must have cocked it up weeks ago. A generous gift from someone dear, and I trashed it. Sorry for excercising all your brains in vain. Thank you all for your generous help and offers.
Bill.
Closed Thread