UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2017, 6:58 am   #21
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer SA-500A amplifier

Well done for sussing out the dry joint. Find out the pinout of your suspected iffy transistor's, turn on and put your DMM probes on the emitter and base, DMM set to DC volts,doesn't matter which way round. You should get 0.5 -0.7v. Be careful it's easy to slip and short out something. If you can trace where the emitter or base joins a resistor, cap or whatever, put your probes there.

Either that, desolder and test with your diode checker. NPN = negative, positive, negative, so red probe to base, black to collector, emitter in turn. Opposite for PNP trannies.

Andy.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 10:16 am   #22
ms660
Dekatron

In general, sometimes wiggling some old Japanese transistors gives the effect of a dry joint when in fact sometimes it isn't, the surface of the transistors encapsulation where the leadout wires are can have a conductive film on it, wiggling the transistor makes the symptoms come and go (a bit like a dry joint) so the person re-solders the leadout connections and all is well, that's because the heat generated by soldering interupts the conductive film, often later on it will start conducting again so the fault returns, I have had countless examples of that during my troubleshooting days, not saying this is the case here but it's something to be aware of.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 4:32 pm   #23
michamoo
Hexode

Lawrence is correct there. Often there is a sooty like deposit around the lead out wires. I find removing the transistor and giving a good scrape between the connections with a sharp scalpel clears the problem for good
Old 28th Feb 2017, 12:10 pm   #24
starone
Triode

That's very interesting about the transistors, I've not removed the suspect ones yet as I didn't want to cause too much damage to the board by taking things out and putting them back in etc. I did check the continuity to earth on the faulty channel but couldn't find a problem. Unfortunately my meter gave up the ghost before I could recheck the voltages, so for now I've come to a standstill until my new one arrives. I've also ordered some replacement transistors and the caps to complete the job. I'll still plod on with the cabinet until the parts arrive, but in the meantime a big thankyou to everyone who's contributed so far.

Martin
Old 6th Mar 2017, 1:34 pm   #25
starone
Triode

I've now replaced the suspect transistors and it's now working really well. Also checked the voltages and both left and right channels are equal, and the sound is nice and balanced.

There's still a slight mains hum which I thought would be cured by replacing the 3300uf can in the power supply, however it's still present. Initially it was only noticeable on the left channel but since replacing the power cord it's now only present on the right side. The voltages check out OK at the rectifier, so I'm not quite sure on this one.

It's all cleaned up and back together as I don't like to have stuff in bits for too long - things always end up going missing! Also fitted another bulb holder as the original had been removed, and raided my scrap bits for knob inserts. They don't match but I think it looks better than it did before.

Here's a pic.

Regards
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170305_224332.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	138694  
Old 7th Mar 2017, 6:26 am   #26
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron