UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2017, 10:25 am   #61
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Newbie looking for help with a Decca Capri

A very nice story and well expressed. The only sting in the tail is tha the BSR X5H is the wrong cartridge and will overload the amplifier causing distortion aka "high volume".
As advised from the onset, the BSR X5M is the ideal replacement.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 12:10 pm   #62
paulsherwin

This may be a candidate for fitting one of the Chinese red ceramic cartridges. Much cheaper than a NOS replacement and less likely to give trouble, though physically fitting it can be a bit awkward.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 1:11 pm   #63
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, Paul,

I've advised Stu to get a hold of one; at the price, (currently £1.46 post free from China, or the same thing £3.70ish from Manchester if you want it urgently) it's certainly worth experimenting with.

There's a YouTube video on the intelligent use of these cheap cartridges which surprised me. They certainly sounded better than £1.46 - worth, although I note that some of the video comments worry about the potential adverse effect of these stylii on your albums. But then again, you wouldn't play your prized Deutsche Grammofon albums on a Dansette Junior anyway, would you? According to the video, the cart specs are as attached, with the frequency response from either 50Hz or 80Hz (he wasn't sure which) up to 10KHz. Not exactly hifi, but the original machines that used this technology weren't exactly hifi either, being built down to a price point.

And thanks, Edward - I expect that using the X5H would have been what caused Stu to report back that the machine was working, but was, if anything, too loud.

Cheers,

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese Cart specs.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	138194  

Last edited by frankmcvey; 25th Feb 2017 at 1:40 pm.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 2:10 pm   #64
paulsherwin

I would always pay the extra for a diamond stylus. Diamonds effectively last forever if not abused, while sapphires have a relatively short life and will need regular replacement if the player is actually being used.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 5:30 am   #65
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, if the amp is overloading how about 2 suitable resistors per channel as an attenuator, cheaper than a new cart!

Ed
Old 7th Mar 2017, 10:12 pm   #66
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
A very nice story and well expressed. The only sting in the tail is tha the BSR X5H is the wrong cartridge and will overload the amplifier causing distortion aka "high volume".
As advised from the onset, the BSR X5M is the ideal replacement.
quick update...have purchased and installed a BSR X5M as suggested (NOS one cost £32.99)....only thing I don't have is the metal tri-angular piece that fits on top of it...but it fitted ok but have got to make sure it's sitting straight.......now it sounds great.....well pleased.......just restoring the externals now.....it's looking good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PFLOfq.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	138798  
Old 8th Mar 2017, 8:04 pm   #67
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge should be fitted with the stylus dead vertical when viewed from the front. It should be close to the front of the headshell and when viewed from the side the stylus should ideally have a reverse rake of about 15 degrees from the vertical. Use the threaded screw hole in the top of the cartridge with a screw and spacers. Do not use BluTak!
Old 8th Mar 2017, 9:47 pm   #68
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Yes it fitted ok with the screw but I had to make sure it was straight.....I think the metal spacer is missing ....the same as I have in my Fidelity record player
it's triangular in shape....see if I can get some pictures
Closed Thread