UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2005, 4:32 pm   #1
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Default Pye Black Box legs ?

just a quick question
does anyone know wether the black box came with legs? i have just tacken a trip to our local anteques/junk center and come across one but on four rather nicely carved 12" high legs they dont look boged on and if they have been fitted on later a very good job has been done. i must admit i would rather like this however its ovious the terntable is not origonal as its one of those seen in the dansett style players from the 70's it is working though with a fair bit of mains hum so the amp needs looking at but thats not a problem is it. the asking price is £25 so should come down to £15 or £20 with a bit of haggeling so what do you guies think is it worth a punt
Old 31st Jul 2005, 4:50 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: pye black box

£15-£20 sounds like a good deal to me.

Do you know which version it is? There were many different cabinet styles and amp designs, some valve and others S/S.

As for the legs, I've seen some on the internet with "original legs" but my early Black Box shows no sign of any holes to which they could be attached.

Also, I would imagine that the legs would be contemporary in styling, i.e. plain and tapering, rather than the ones you describe.

Nick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 10:18 pm. Reason: ebay reference removed.
Old 31st Jul 2005, 8:08 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: pye black box

I used to have a transistor version of the Pye BB which I found in an antiques place in Lancaster.

This had four of those thingies fitted which enabled legs to be screwed in. Four legs also came with it; these were typical 1960s black plastic covered metal with brassy adjustable feet. These legs and their fittings could at one time be bought seperately and fitted by the owner, so there's no way of telling if my - or indeed any - Black Box came fitted these from new.

I have also seen another BB which sat on a very sturdy wooden frame/legs with staining to match that of the BB itself but, again, no idea if it was an original 'extra' or a very well made DIY job.
Closed Thread