UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2019, 8:03 am   #1
GW4FRX
Pentode

Default Radford FM tuners

With a view to possibly acquiring one for restoration, I spent some time recently looking for information about the later Radford FM tuners. But there seems to be remarkably little published material. There are a few photographs of the FMT3 and a schematic but nothing at all about the FMT4 although one item of Radford literature mentions it. Anecdotally there was an FMT5 prototype but again no hard information.

Does anyone have direct experience of any of these tuners and were any contemporaneous reviews published? Or were they simply not popular (or not very good)?
Old 6th Jul 2019, 5:14 pm   #2
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Default Re: Radford FM tuners

Have you taken a look at the Yahoo group "Radford Electronics Files and Database" located here https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/radfordfiles/info ?

However you will need to apply for membership. Quite a few years ago I was able to find much needed information regarding my Radford LDO4.

Cheers
Rich
Old 6th Jul 2019, 6:53 pm   #3
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi_MPT4 View Post
Have you taken a look at the Yahoo group "Radford Electronics Files and Database" located here https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/radfordfiles/info ? However you will need to apply for membership. Quite a few years ago I was able to find much needed information regarding my Radford LDO4.
I used to belong to that group and indeed contributed to it from time to time. However, since Yahoo became part of Oath it seems chiefly interested in hoovering up as much personal data as possible and bombarding members with irrelevant and intrusive advertising. The so-called 'dashboard' is a joke. It is effectively impossible to stop it setting tracking cookies and running odd-looking scripts which can't be blocked.

So I no longer belong to any Yahoo groups.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 2:19 pm   #4
GW4FRX
Pentode

Answering my own question, Mike Solomons tells me that he has only ever seen one FMT3 and that the FMT4 did not proceed beyond the mock-up stage. He has not heard of the FMT5.

So it seems that the only successful Radford FM tuners were the FMT1 and 2, and Mike commented that setting up the latter is “extremely difficult.”
Closed Thread