UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2019, 6:48 pm   #1
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Default Hacker Gondolier GP42

HI
can someone tell me what voltages
to expect on both ends of c6 and c7 caps
both are Mullard mustards
Mick
Old 30th Jun 2019, 7:19 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Gondolier GP42

There are many posts relating to the Hacker, and in particular the two capacitors C6,7. I took a look at a few, I’m not particularly experienced on Hacker, and it seems they can be problematic, and worth replacing. One post said they had a high voltage on control grid ( over 100 volts) and after replacing the two capacitors the voltage was zero, “as it should be”.
The cathodes voltage is approximately +8volts.
I hope this helps but I’m sure some Hacker experts will give you much more advice.
Cheers
John
Old 30th Jun 2019, 7:34 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Approx 145v+ on the anodes of the triodes, 0v on the control grids of the output pentodes.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 4:40 pm   #4
BRASSBITS
Hexode

ok I have a strange fault on this gondolier
When switched on it makes the volume and treble controls seem noisy as tho they need cleaning,but there not.
I have just checked the voltages at the ends of the caps with valves removed and I get 313 volts dc
at the anode end and zero volts at the grid end
on both caps.
any ideas
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 4:59 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The voltage will be high without the valves, those capacitors appear to be good which those Mullard ones usually are, but best to be sure by the tests you have performed.

The noise, I presume they are noisy after the valves have warmed up, does the noise stop after a few minutes or do they stay noisy?
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 5:02 pm   #6
BRASSBITS
Hexode

they stay noisy and when you turn the volume and treble along the lines of tuning a radio it brings on a motrboating noise
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 5:44 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Presuming the circuit is has the original, check voltages on the valves, smoothing/ decoupling capacitors and components in the negative feedback circuit.

If the feedback only occurs with the lid down there are suggestions in the manual.