UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2019, 12:00 pm   #1
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Grundig Studio RPC-350 alignment procedure...

I've recently finished reassembly of my Grundig music centre, having gone through it and replaced any components out of spec (only a few electrolytics out of about a hundred!) but I'm less than satisfied with performance on UKW (FM) & feel it's an alignment issue.

Tune across a strong station and it comes in well and the stereo lamp lights briefly, but once I stop moving the dial stereo dips back out and the signal weakens. Also if I tune with AFC selected it doesn't "grab" the strongest signal like I'd expect.

I've had a quick search round & downloaded some service manuals from RM but I've reached the limit of my downloads and no alignment info...

Does anyone have the appropriate data they'd be willing to share please? This is a really nice system and sounds great, solidly built and looks amazing, just a shame the plastics are aging badly as there's a couple of broken gears, one that prevents the tape deck from rewinding and another that drove the tuning cap, though thankfully there's 7 permeability-tuned FM presets so I can still use that at least!

Thanks,
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:10 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig Studio RPC-350 alignment procedure...

Hi Dan,

The elektrotanya web-site has the service manual, or parts of it, not the best quality, but it is usable:
https://elektrotanya.com/grundig_hif.../download.html
The schematics has some adjustment instructions.

There is also a guy who asked for help about the same radio on the DIYaudio forum, and posted some good quality scans of the schematics. You might contact him for the manual:
https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/blo...need-help.html

The radio is more or less conventional, and it uses ICs.
The FM-tuner section is a three transistor circuit with varicap diode tuning.
The FM-IF amplifier uses a TCA420 IC, the tuning voltage is produced by the TCA530 IC, including the AFC.
The switching of FM channels is done by the SA580 SAS590 ICs.

Look up the datasheets and it has application information in them, that is very helpful.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Peter
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:35 am   #3
peter_sol
Octode

It is very unlikely to be alignment unless someone has deliberately messed with it.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:43 pm   #4
ekjdm14
Banned

Ah thanks, I'll get a look at those links when i get a moment. I must remember that elektrotanya is a good resource, again never thought to look! I did think it strange that the alignment would be off but not having a decent service manual to refer to (just the parts of scans i managed to get from RMorg) couldn't really verify one way or another.

Hopefully it's something simple I've missed. Thanks to all for the replies, suggestions and links,
Closed Thread