UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2012, 8:02 pm   #1
chaz007
Triode

Default Bush AC31 instability.

My dad acquired this little Bush and it's internally very good condition and doesn't seem to be messed wIth, I've replaced the waxies and the electrolytic smoothing caps. It powers up fine and works but after a minute it gets instability and if tuned off a station will whistle and motorboat if left on longer gram works fine though. Seems to start playing up when it gets warm. I'm pretty new to this so any ideas?
Old 7th Sep 2012, 10:26 pm   #2
chroma04
Pentode

Default Re: Bush AC31 instability.

Hi,

I own an example of this radio which also had the same issue after replacement of all the usual suspects, giving instability (whistling) when tuned either side of a station. In my case, replacement of the EBF80 (I.F. amplifier, AM detector, AGC) completely cured the problem.

Inspection of the faulty valve revealed 'silvering' of the glass envelope. May be worth a shot if you have one to hand, although this valve is not found in most 'standard' superhet receivers.

Best Regards,

Adrian.
Old 6th Oct 2012, 6:27 pm   #3
chaz007
Triode

Update.

I decided to give replacement of the EBF80 a go, got a new old stock replacement from eBay and it's working perfectly now! Thanks for the suggestion .
Old 6th Oct 2012, 11:49 pm   #4
chroma04
Pentode

Well done! Glad to hear it lives again!