UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2012, 11:49 pm   #1
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Default Bush AC11, whistling humming and deaf.

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with an AC11 chassis. I've sorted a number of issues relating to the paxolin sockets tracking, replaced all waxies and the HT electrolytics which were shot.

The set now basically works on MW but with lots of whistles and howls whilst tuning. Tuning is also very critical and just touching the dial upsets the set. LW is the same but very deaf the only station I can get is R4 and only on my 100' long wire aerial. SW is dead, there is also more mains hum than I was expecting.

HT measures fine at 260V at C33 and 120V at C27. I've tried subbing valves with known good ones with no improvement.

Jay
Old 11th Jun 2012, 5:20 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush AC11, whistling humming and deaf.

I assume you are using the trader sheet here.

If so, the first place I would look is R21. If you've tried the rectifier from another set, have you tried the rectifier from this set in another one?

Check the metal paint on the valves, because if it's severely scratched all sorts of funnies can occur.

Clean the wavechange switch as these are the root of all evil.

If the tuning is that sensitive, I wonder if the IF or RF has been tweaked at some time?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 7:52 pm   #3
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes. I'm on the trader sheet sorry should of stated. I've already replaced R21 it had failed due to the tracking fault. All valves are B8A so no metalised coating, valve lineup is the classic UY41 UL41 UCH42 UBC41 UF41.
Wave change switch has been given a thorough going over.
I really do hope it's not a case of someone having a tweak as I hate doing alignment.

Jay
Old 11th Jun 2012, 8:08 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Squirt 465 kHz at it and see what that's like? Are there any signs of it being messed with?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 9:29 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Guess I will have to dust off the signal generator then. I don't think the trimmers have been messed with as they are still sealed with white paint. I've just been back through all the caps I've changed and double checked for errors but have found none. This one is going to be a ****** I know it.

Jay