UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2009, 11:41 pm   #1
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VHF61 Valves

Hello, I have a Bush VHF61 which takes the following valves; ECC85, ECH81,
2x EF89's, EABC80, EL84, EZ80, and a magic eye EM81. Can anyone advise which of these valves are likely to go faulty over time, as I'm looking to buy some NOS valves to put aside.
Old 15th Dec 2009, 11:48 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF61 Valves

Those valves rarely fail, but keep an EZ80 (Or EZ81 maybe) with these, and an EL84. But do replace a few capacitors - the capacitor known as 'that capacitor' in particular. And an ECC85 maybe?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 12:08 am   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

In order of unreliability (most unreliable first) EM81 (fades out); ECC85; EL84 (grid current); EF89s (low emission); EABC80 (FM diode match); ECH81.

The EZ80s in Bush sets last well because the BEC electrolytics don't usually fail.

All the valves except the EM81 are easy to get, so are hardly worth stockpiling. To maintain FM functionality, I'd just get a spare ECC85 if all the others are in good shape. If you restore these sets properly, they're not heavy on valves.

Leon.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 12:18 am   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

EM80/81 available for £10 each from Past Times Radio.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 5:02 am   #5
dr peppers
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not totally sure 'bout this, but I think the ecc85 is the rf input pre amp for the vhf band.
Some sources say this particular valve on a vhf set should be replaced as a matter of course on a restoration as it degrades (is this because its operating in common cathode?), my philco has an equivalent and it certainly improved vhf sensitivity when it was replaced.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 9:01 am   #6
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for this info, very helpful. I'll be buying a EM81 and an ECC85 in the near future.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 9:24 am   #7
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

The ECC85 kept failing in my VHF64. This turned out to be due to low heater voltage (<5V) caused by poor connection to chassis of the heater return at the transformer. Worth remaking this connection with a star washer to cut through the oxidation.

Brian.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 4:38 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

The VHF61 was built to the traditional standards of Bush, which included the fitment of shakeproof washers under every nut. Earthing problems are uncommon on these sets.

The VHF64 has no spring washers - the British rot was starting to develop. Earthing faults, including that of the chassis end plate carrying the smoothing capacitors, are quite common. It was also designed with unacceptable mains hum and requires modifications to make it work well.

Leon.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 7:57 pm   #9
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Funny that, I always thought the VHF64 was technically superior to the VHF61. My preference for the VHF61 was based purely on its bakelite case.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 8:07 pm   #10
telstar
Octode

Hi. The EF89 valves on my Bush VHF61 had low gain, and when I managed to find replacements for them, it improved the o/p from the radio. You may as well add these valves to your list of requirements.
Regards
Mike
Old 17th Dec 2009, 10:11 am   #11
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi !
I keep a lot of NOS valves to ascertain I can run every set in my little collection in distant future.
Of course, I do not have a complete spare set for every radio I own, but a couple of valve of every model used in my sets. Except for the ECC85 of which I have 10 (bought them all together).
IMHO, keep the new EM81 in the drawer. Fading of the magic eye will not put your set out of use. Shading the display with your hand is enough to make the tuning.
As per lifespan of valves, it is really dependant on the set. My Ducretet Thomson of 1957 still run every day with it's original set as do my Blaupunkt of the same vintage. I've a Grundig which eats ECL86 regularly whatever checks you perform. I've got a Braun SK25 which was used and abused. during restoration, I get the set of valves to a fellow which owns a big Metrix valve tester as the set had all the originals. All passed with flying colours, even the EL95 !
So do not rush to by your stock, wait for some kind of deal ...
Regards.
Closed Thread