UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2018, 2:57 pm   #1
simon_h
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beolit 600 (1970s) removing the telescopic aerial

Hello, I have recently purchased a B&O Beolit 600, in a box with some other sets, and am in the process of restoring it. Fortunately it seems to be working very well on all bands but has suffered battery leakage in the past which has dissolved the connection to the whip aerial. The aerial itself seems OK but the fixing to the case seems to be a solid mass of rust and corrosion, to the extent that I cannot tell whether it is supposed to be fixed by a screw or a rivet to the plastic part of the chassis. I enclose a couple of photos.

I wonder whether someone might be able to help me to determine whether this is a screw fixing (slotted or hex) so that if I can drill it out, I will be able to replace it with a new screw and tag under the base to make the connection. As the aerial seems to be original I do not want to damage or disturb it if I will not be able to fix it back to the casing, as plan B will be to find some sort of spring circlip to hold the wire to the base as it is. I presume the aerial, once released, pulls out from the top of the case and the inner plastic tube falls away?

It seems the set has been stored in less than dry conditions though, so unfortunately the handle is somewhat pitted. Otherwise it is very good cosmetically for a set of its age and luckily the damp has not damaged the speaker, which I understand is a common problem with these. I think the set will work very well when this problem has been sorted out and it is certainly an interesting design.

best regards,
Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_124138_small.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	164295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_124207_small.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	164296  
Old 9th Jun 2018, 4:51 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Beolit 600 (1970s) removing the telescopic aerial

I have looked at the similar Beolit 707 set and the aerial retaining screw is an M3 x 10mm (overall length), 8mm thread length, cheese head slotted screw, probably cadmium plated.

Ron
Old 9th Jun 2018, 9:13 pm   #3
simon_h
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Beolit 600 (1970s) removing the telescopic aerial

Hi Ron,

Thank you for looking and for your reply, it is most helpful. Now I need to decide whether to attempt to drill out the old screw and make a proper repair without breaking anything or simply tightly wrap some tinned wire around the base and solder to that, or find some springy material to make a clip on connection.

regards,
Simon.
Closed Thread