UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2009, 1:14 am   #1
Roy London
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sibilance on Grundig Marlborough 3028

Newbie....

I have recently acquired a wonderful Grundig 3028, which sounds great.

Classical music sounds excellent, ie Radio 3, but speech is a little sibilant on S's etc...

Is there a little capacitor mod I can carry out to tame the sibilance frequencies, whatever they are, without ruining the music? Reduction of treble is too coarse to deal with this.

Any good info gratefully received.
Old 19th Dec 2009, 11:41 am   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Sibilance on Grundig Marlborough 3028

Hi Roy,

I can't remember my 3028 having such problems. I'm not a clever as some of the guys here, so let's hope others will come forward, but I 'believe' it could be an alignment issue. Does it sound better if you tune,slightly, off station?

David
Old 19th Dec 2009, 11:48 am   #3
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

I`v encountered that on a few sets if the I.F is slightly out, and all the "S"`s sound like "shhh".
as Dave said above, if it`s slightly off station it can do that as well.
Old 19th Dec 2009, 12:03 pm   #4
jjl
Octode

This can happen when the 4uF electrolytic capactitor in the FM detector is faulty. I'd try replacing this first. If you do replace the capacitor, remember that the positive end goes to chassis.

John
Old 19th Dec 2009, 4:02 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I don't know the set but if it uses a valve discriminator like an EABC80 or possibly an EAA91 (EB91) that is also worth a try. One of the diodes may be low causing an imbalance.

Rich.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 10:48 am   #6
Roy London
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Gents

replies very much appreciated, thank you

It's not extreme, just more than other radios and some voices worse than others....noticeable, subtle.... mildly niggling...always there.....

I will try all suggestions, thank you...it does utilise an eabc80...I think I have one....

will report back on all suggestions.......
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:34 am   #7
paulsherwin

Reception problems can also cause sibilance in the absence of a receiver fault. London is generally an area of good signal strength, but it is plagued with multipath reception blackspots because of all the high steel framed buildings, and the many pirate stations interfere with reception.

Paul
Old 21st Dec 2009, 6:41 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

I had a very similar problem on a Bush VHF61. The tuning was drifting and even when tuned properly it still had excessive sibilance.

I replaced all the Hunts caps which cured the drifting. "Tweaking" the FM alignment cured the remaining sibilance.
Closed Thread