UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2009, 11:01 pm   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Thuuump... when turning off!

Hi.
Ideally you should put a switch supression cap across the switch contacts, this type of cap has a resistor in series, this stops the back EMF destroying the cap, although as Phil suggests a 0.1uf 1000v will at least tell you that this is the problem.
I had the same problem on my Rgd 746 when the turntable switched off the bang from the speaker was scary and the cap was a 100% cure. A cap across the mains will also work, if you use the sets power switch put it across the contacts, if it was to go short the set would just stay on and not blow a fuse.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 14th Dec 2009, 12:40 am   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Sure, the field coil current will collapse, but that won't make the cone move unless the voice coil also has current through it at the same time.
I don't think that follows; a back emf field could inject a pulse into the voice coil that would be contrary to the energising field polarity.
Good point. The field coil collapsing WILL induce an EMF into the voice coil. However, this won't make a current flow in the voise coil, unless the voice-coil has a lowish-impedance current path connected to its terminals. If the output valve is a triode (low ra) then a current will flow and there'll be a thump. If the output valve is a pentode with a high ra, then less current will flow and there'll be less of a thump.

Of course, other effects may well dominate this one, in practice...
Old 17th Dec 2009, 10:06 am   #23
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Good point. The field coil collapsing WILL induce an EMF into the voice coil. However, this won't make a current flow in the voice coil, unless the voice-coil has a lowish-impedance current path connected to its terminals.
But it does have such a current path! The speaker voice coil is connected to the low impedance secondary of the audio output transformer.

Any current disturbance in the transformer primary winding will create a sound from the speaker. It's pretty much the sole purpose in life of the whole assembly. So, provided that there is a closed circuit on the primary (i.e. the output valve is still conducting, which it will be at switch off) there is potential for an audible output from the speaker. The potential increases if the design has a cap from the o/p anode to ground or across the o/p tx primary winding.

I wonder if any progress has been made yet?

Cheers

Billy
Old 17th Dec 2009, 12:43 pm   #24
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I wonder if any progress has been made yet?
Unfortunately I am travelling with work this week Gotta feed the family. I wont be home until the weekend so can not take a look until then. First thing I will try is an external speaker... see if this makes a difference.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 3:29 pm   #25
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

Very strange, I was travelling all last week so this weekend I took a look at the radio and it is no longer making the very loud scary "thump" when I turn off. Previously the speaker cloth would buldge out with the thump and I was concerned it would damage the speaker. Now even with maximum bass when I turn off there is just a very slight "thump". No idea what has changed, just hope it doesn't come back again.
Closed Thread