UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2009, 6:21 pm   #1
jetstream320
Tetrode

Default Fenman 2 Mains Transformer

I have a Pye Fenman 2 which has been professionally overhauled, all suspect capacitors replaced etc. and it is working very well. The only problem is that the Mains Transformer is running very hot. After a couple of hours it is too hot to hold a hand on the top. It probably doesn't help that the output valves are very close to it. I have a second Fenman 2,working but tatty,and this is exactly the same. Does any Fenman 2 owner know if this is normal, or do I have two transformers with shorted turns?
I think these sets sound much better than any Grundig!
Old 11th Dec 2009, 6:32 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Fenman 2 Mains Transformer

I've got 5 and they all run hot and make the wax go all gooey. It's not helped by having the 2 output valves beside it.

If it's been serviced and recapped I wouldn't worry.

David
Old 11th Dec 2009, 6:34 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes, they do get warm. And so do the Output Valves, it must be said. Not a risk, but pretty hot all the same.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Dec 2009, 6:46 pm   #4
jetstream320
Tetrode

Thanks Dave and Steve,
I will stop worrying about it now.
Cheers,
Chris.
Old 11th Dec 2009, 7:07 pm   #5
yestertech
Nonode

Check what sort of EL84s are fitted. If you have ancient Mullards be suspicious. They can develop appreciable +ve grid volts after 30 mins ( or less ! ) of running. This increases the HT current of course.
Check for around 8.5 volts across the cathode resistor of each valve after 15 mins or so.
HT current in total on FM is given as 85mA although there is no easy way to measure this without 'surgery'

Andy
Old 14th Dec 2009, 11:11 am   #6
jetstream320
Tetrode

Thanks Andy,
The EL84's are ancient but they are not Mullard ones. They have got the name Pinnacle on them, but I guess they could have been made by Mullard. I will measure the currents anyway to be on the safe side. I have also noticed that there is melted wax underneath the transformer on the chassis so it is running pretty hot. The other set has old wax on the chassis as well.
Chris.
Old 15th Dec 2009, 1:36 am   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Chris,

All my Fenman II's came with a puddle of wax under the mains transformers. As I mentioned above, it never worried me, but I did have the confidence in knowing that I had personally changed all the cap and the output valves were in good condition.

Personally, as long as it has been serviced properly, I don't think you've got a problem, but it certainly won't do no harm checking the HT current, as suggested by Andy
Old 15th Dec 2009, 2:19 pm   #8
jetstream320
Tetrode

I have monitored the cathode voltage on the EL84's for over an hour, it stayed the same at exactly 9 volts. I also tested them and they are nowhere near a matched pair, one is ok but the other only draws half the Anode Current quoted in the Avo book, but it still sounds very good. I will look for a good matched pair in due course, and not worry about the puddle of wax.
Thanks Andy/Dave.
Cheers,
Chris.
Closed Thread