UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2007, 8:27 pm   #41
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Murphy A262

Hi!

One place where you'll probably be able to look at and copy a *full* Murphy A262 service sheet is the Science Museum Collection at Wroughton on the A4361 a few miles south of Swindon when it opens later in the autumn.

This museum will be keeping for reference only, a large collection of Service Manuals and Circuit Diagrams formerly kept at Chelmsford Library.

I got an Elizabethan LZ29 circuit diagram, layout diagram and a full service sheet for the Collaro Studio tape deck here.

If Paul hasn't got a full sheet it might also be worth rooting on eBay!

I'd be personally a little dubious about buying online from all the myriad other purveyors of vintage data as you might be paying for a Trader sheet or two lousy photocopies from the servicing volumes, which many larger reference libraries still keep anyway!

In all fairness, the information that Murphy kept back was usually the layout diagrams, alignment instructions, any circuit description and parts list.

Murphy's circuit diagrams were always very well annotated with operating voltages, coil DC resistance readings, the intermediate frequencies and sometimes wafer switch diagrams, so if you've got a set with a standard fault and not something intermittent, you've usually got enough on the circuit drawing!

I'm glad to hear you've got your set working! B8A valves can suffer sudden failure - I had an EBC41 go like that in a Fenman II!

Chris Williams
Old 6th Sep 2007, 10:41 pm   #42
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Default Re: Murphy A262

The set's working really well - I've been using it daily on all three wavebands and I'm now contemplating having a go at the cabinet. I'm not sure it's strictly worth it, as I suspect I could buy a better one for less than the cost of the restoration materials, but I'd quite like to have a go, and it wouldn't be a disaster if I messed it up! It's got what looks like sun damage on one side, and a few dents on the front edge, which being dark varnished, show up rather. My though was to strip it back, patch it up and the use dark danish oil.

I actually also bought the A272 trader sheet from Paul's site, as the A272 looked very similar to the A262 in circuit and cabinet. It's close enough - apart from a couple of circuit improvements and some cost cutting here and there.
Closed Thread