UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2007, 4:28 pm   #1
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Post Cossor Melody maker model 501 help

Hi all

Cossor Melody maker model 501 serial number SY-46989

The fault with this set is the sound is low the volume control is fine i do have some info on the set (R&T vol 1)

After removing the back the only visible fault i can find is the 7B7 and 7C6 valve heaters are a bit feeble to say the least is that normal on this set? the set was on for over an hour yesterday and both valves felt cold the rest are nice and hot with a healthy glow.

I found a scrap 501 yesterday serial number ?-43316 and swapped over the 7B7 and 7C6 valves and the results are the same any help woud be much appreciated.

Regards

Marcus........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coss1.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	12017   Click image for larger version

Name:	coss2.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	12018   Click image for larger version

Name:	coss3.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12019   Click image for larger version

Name:	coss4.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	12020  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Mar 2008 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 4:37 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor Melody maker model 501 help

OK - First of all: Read and Learn:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...lves-work.html

However, I can advise you to change C25. The circuit for this set (and many others) is available from our esteemed webmaster, the Rt Hon. Mr Stenning, on the panel top right!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 5:18 pm   #3
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cossor Melody maker model 501 help

Sorry i should have put ive already changed C25, C26, C30 this afternoon

The most likely fault Steve is all 4 valves are kaput then ? i was hopeing the 2from the spare 501 would be ok and the fault was with the radio

Regards

Marcus.......
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 6:01 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

I assume you've tried it with a large aerial. Most sets of this era needed it. Is it quiet Audio wise or quiet as in weak stations. Also, measure the HT and see make sure that's OK.

Go for a changing the waxies session and make sure none of the Resistors have gone high. This will quieten it.

Check the RF end as well - for small cap problems.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 7:32 pm   #5
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve

The only aerial ive tried on this set is the one thats attached to the rear cover on the inside, the set picks up quite a fair few stations on MW but only 1 on SW and 2 on LW, the problem with the set is the volume is not very loud if i read this im typing to my self out load in a normal voice im louder than the radio, is it normal for the Cossor 7B7 and 7C6 to run cool ? the radio as been on for the last 2 hours and those 2 valves are just warm sorry for my stupidity this is the first valve radio ive ever tried to fix.

The resistors are all ok Steve just a few of them have changed value R12 100ohm in my set it reads 108 ohm, R13 470k in mine R13 reads 466k etc

I dont have many of the caps this set uses Steve ive just swapped the 32UF cap C26, c25 0.1UF and c30 25UF.

Ive just tried to take a pic of the febble glow of the 7C6 but you cant see it you can see the healthy glow from the 7C5 in the picture only.

Thanks for the help Steve with this set i think ill box it up for now untill i can get them 2 valves and take it from there Steve.

Regards

Marcus......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aerial.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	12023   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	12024  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Mar 2008 at 8:10 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 8:53 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

One problem with these valves was corrosion of the pins...admittedly more of a problem on the rectifier and output valves because they run hotter. The pins are rather short and thin so not much contact area. Pull out the valves and thoroughly clean the pins on all of them. Afterwards put a drop of switch cleaner on them. This should take care of any problems in this area but you may need to do it again in a few years.

Measure the voltage across the heater pins if you have any doubt (pins 1 and 8 on these valves, either side of the locating 'pip' (remember it's AC)!

HT should be in the region of around 230v on the cathode of the reccy. If it's low, replace the reccy (probably a 7Y4 or equiv).

Rich.
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 9:33 pm   #7
PaulR
Dekatron

I have one of these and the reception using the inbuilt aerial is very poor. Try a good long aerial, maybe upstairs (assuming you don't live in a bungalow!) and see what happens then. Valves are actually very reliable and don't really glow very much. In any case the amount of light they emit has no relationship to their condition.

As Richard says the pins on these valves can cause problems as can the valve holders themselves as the sockets are thin bits of bent brass sandwiched between two paxolin circles. I had to replace two in mine and had to repair the one holding the rectifier.

Follow Richard's advice about the voltages, and if you really want to replace any valve try the rectifier.

Finally, mine oscillated at high volume settings. I traced this to the earth connection on the main tag strip.

Just another thought - the set will have an pickup input. Try a CD player or something connected to that to see how well the amp works.
Paul

Last edited by PaulR; 3rd Sep 2007 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Another thought
Old 4th Sep 2007, 12:51 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Hi, just a comment - I have a Cossor 500 (same chassis, wooden cabinet). On radio, volume is quite good, but the sensitivity from the pick-up input is not high. A CD playerhardy gives enough output to fully drive the amplifier, even at full volume setting.

Definitely change the waxies, ESPECIALLY the one coupling to the output valve grid. Then, measure the reisistance from 7C5 pin 7 to chassis (to check the cathode resistor) with the set off (270 ohms), then switch on and measure 7C5 cathode voltage - the service sheet (from Paul Stenning's CD-ROM) indicates 9V. Mine shows 6.5V indicating a tired 7C5, yet changing to a new one doesn't increase volume noticeably!

I'm really interested as to whether yours works on short wave. I'm having a lot of fun with mine - see separate thread.
Old 4th Sep 2007, 5:16 pm   #9
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all

Thank you for all your replys.

Steve, Richard, Paul i measured the HT at cap c31 and the voltage was 173v
ive removed the 7Y4 from the spare chassis and cleaned the pins the HT is now at 278v is that ok ? the valve heater voltages are 6.3v AC rectifier valve and the rest of the valves heater voltage comes from another winding on the transformer that is only 5.7v AC is that correct.

Ive replaced c26,c31 from the scrap chassis rather than use 2 caps

The radio is much louder now so thanks all but could you get back to me regarding the voltages cheers guys.

kalee on SW my set picks up now 2 stations near 16 (on the dial)1 near 12
a fast beeb at 8 and 1 station at 0 hope that helps

Regards

Marcus.......

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Mar 2008 at 8:08 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 4th Sep 2007, 5:43 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Use new caps Marcus!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 4th Sep 2007, 6:07 pm   #11
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve

This is a pick of the duff cap c26,c31 it reads 3UF on the 16UF section and 11UF on the 32UF section the one ive fitted from the scrap cossor reads 15UF on the 16UF section and 30UF on the 32UF section, i guess i could fit 2 new caps in the old can or do you think the one from the scrap Cossor that ive fitted will be ok it is dated 1955.

Regards

Marcus.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duff cap.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	12038  
Old 4th Sep 2007, 6:10 pm   #12
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes that'll be fine. Chuck the other one in the bin. I should have checked what they were on the diagram first. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 4th Sep 2007, 9:51 pm   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus 3500 View Post
ive removed the 7Y4 from the spare chassis and cleaned the pins the HT is now at 278v is that ok.

That's fine. the trader sheet quotes 280v on the cathode so you have a very good reccy valve there!

Anode volts on the 7C5 output valve should be around 268 so a bit higher than I suggested. These sets work well but you'll need an external aerial for SW.

I hope no-one has twiddled the alignment. I'd be inclined to check that next.

Rich.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 4:19 pm   #14
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All

Thank you everyone for all the fantastic help ive been given with the Cossor, the radio is back together and sounds quite good.

Here are the end results and a pic of the donor Cossor Thanks again Guys

Regards

Marcus.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished 1.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	12077   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	12078   Click image for larger version

Name:	the donor.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12079  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Mar 2008 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 7:06 pm   #15
PaulR
Dekatron

You will, of course now be restoring the "donor"!!
Old 5th Sep 2007, 9:57 pm   #16
Steve_P
Dekatron

Easily done too. Valves can be got, Capacitors can be changed, Cabinets can be cleaned, etc.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 6th Sep 2007, 8:12 am   #17
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Well done, Marcus - it looks good.
The donor looks quite reasonable as well; heed Paul's and Steve's advice.
Old 6th Sep 2007, 8:21 pm   #18
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all

Thanks Paul, Steve, Mike

For now the donor Cossor can join the to do pile. I'm keeping it that way just in case anything goes wrong with the working one.

Thanks again all for all your kind help, without it I would still be scratching my head.

Regards

Marcus.........

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Mar 2008 at 8:06 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Closed Thread