UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2019, 7:54 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Philips V2022 and ITT 482 cross-compatible parts

I was offered and have just picked up a Philips v2022 v2000 machine. It was working when the seller last tried it about a month ago, albeit with a fuzzy picture that was almost certainly dirty heads. The machine is a bit grubby and needs a ssrious clean. But it won't play now. Ff and rew ok, but wont play. Any ideas on what's wrong?

The machine is pretty battered and worn cosmetically. Looks awful.

My original ITT 482 that had the problem of being stuck on play with a tape lid that kept opening, but was seriously damaged by the previous repairman who didn't put it back together properly (loose boards inside ), and wired it up wrong, causing the power supply to burn and smoke.
I sent it in to a new, much better place i found, but he thought it was a lost cause when he saw all the smoke coming out of the power supply and didn't fix it as a result.

This v2022 is my third v2000 machine. I could do with getting it up and running, but it is in such a bad cosmetic state, that it would be ni er to get the 482 running, maybe using parts from the 2022 if possible. They're almost identical models.
Is anything cross-compatible between the two machines? Power supply in particular would be good to replace the damaged one in the 482.
I'm not sure about what is better about the latter machine, in terms of features or quality.

Thanks for any help.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 10:11 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Philips V2022 and ITT 482 cross-compatible parts

The ITT 482 is a clone of the Philips VR2020 not the VR2022. In particular the the latter has pause and search forward and reverse which required a number of changes to both the main pcb and servo/psu modules.

Service information is available for both machines which will identify where the changes have been made.

There is an article in Television Magazine by Brian Dempster. Shown in the editions from April 1982 to September 1982 inc., they describes the circuit and module functions.

Americanradiohistory.com has copies listed under Television Servicing UK.

There is also some information on this site from members experiences.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 11:21 am   #3
Eidolon
Hexode

Thanks. The first paragraph would indicate hat there aren't any parts that can be transferred between machines?
Old 26th Apr 2019, 12:37 pm   #4
simpsons
Octode

From memory, the changes are to the main pcb, servo and psu. The microprocessor will of course be different. You will find that all other modules can be interchanged. The clue is that where they cannot, their physical shape and size stops you inserting them.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 1:28 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

“....won’t play.....”

Many of the tape transport problems with these were caused by faulty IR sensors IIRC.

Peter
Old 26th Apr 2019, 1:45 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Thanks. The first paragraph would indicate hat there aren't any parts that can be transferred between machines?
Even while the VR2022 is an evolution of the VR2020, the VR2020 alone was revised some 65 times (by the end it looked technically more like a VR2021/VR2022 but still not the same). I would be interested in pictures of both type labels though, and also can tell from those if they're anywhere near close in revision/production date - increasing the chances that at least some of the parts would be exchangeable.

Last edited by Maarten; 26th Apr 2019 at 1:50 pm.
Old 5th May 2019, 12:29 pm   #7
Eidolon
Hexode

Are the heads, head drum and sound head transferable between the two machines?

Which stickers am i looking for, to take photos? There's something on the back of tye v2022 that might be what you want?

Can i upload photos directly to this forum?
Old 5th May 2019, 2:28 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The type stickers on the back, that have the type number and serial number will give a basic idea, so it's probably a good idea to go from there.

From the top of my head, the upper drums should be exchangeable.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:16 pm   #9
Eidolon
Hexode

I am wanting to clean the insides of this machine as much as i possibly can before sending it off.
There should be some latches on the tape lid so it can be flipped open? I can't seem to find where to look. Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:56 pm   #10
space_charged
Hexode

I think you have to take the entire top off to release the cassette compartment.
To do that, remove the (five if I remember rightly) long screws on the bottom. Turn the machine over to do that. The bottom metal plate is also released. The entire top plastic shell can be removed.
From memory, its then possible to release the cassette compartment. There is a solenoid you can press manually. The cassette lid doesn't come up by much though.

If cleaning anything be VERY VERY careful anywhere near the head drum because the video heads are very small and fantastically hard - so very brittle.

C
Closed Thread