UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2018, 4:13 pm   #1
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker RP75 back from the dead

I purchased a Hacker Super Sovereign as a non worker, pretty quickly narrowed it down to the complementary NPN germanium output transistor AC187 gone S/C. I have temporarily replaced it with a silicon NPN power transistor, amazingly the audio does not sound distorted ( I have not touched the bias pot as I have e bayed a genuine Mullard replacement, new OS ). The set works fine on FM MW LW but SW1 and 2 were very quiet, on studying the diagram it quickly became apparent they need an external antenna and sure enough a bit of wire shoved in the aerial socket brought them to life. I thought they might have had a space on the ferrite rod aerial but presumably ferrite is no good at higher frequencies than MW. Has anybody got a definitive answer to that?
Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:15 pm   #2
westcliff
Hexode

Default Re: hacker RP75 back from the dead

There should be an extending aerial for SW and FM reception.

Gus.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 8:34 am   #3
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Hacker RP75 back from the dead

The telescopic is unlikely to pick up anything as there are not many strong stations left on SW. A random length wire strung across the garden and clipped to the telescopic aerial should bring you some stations in especially after dark.

Regards

Graham
Old 13th Jun 2018, 9:24 am   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Hacker RP75 back from the dead

For my short wave listening I use a portable set with its telescopic rod aerial. Its true there are a lot less strong short wave signals about but its a case of listening at the right time. China Radio International, Radio Romania International, Voice of Turkey plus a few more do put out several English broadcasts a day which can be heard loud and clear.
Closed Thread