UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2021, 9:14 pm   #41
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Default Re: Sony KV-25X1U Battered PCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Gutted for you mate, when I saw the state of the chassis I half expected that the CRT would be goosed, that looks like its been thrown from quite a height! I am actually surprised the CRT is still fixed to the cabinet.
I was surprized too. the CRT is rock solid in the cabinet, no obvious signs of damage.

If anything the Ferguson IKC2 i had brought over awhile ago would be the more likely candidate for a dead tube considering it was flailing about in the cabinet with chunks of the cabinet broken off but once i re-attached it the tube is in excellent shape.

I'll happily ship any other CRT over from the UK again but never a Trinitron.

They really must have been rough with it or it fell off a conveyer belt or something but then again even the packaging wasnt damaged and the set had none or miniscule space within the packaging to move about so id love to know how the grill fell to pieces inside the tube.

At what level of shock would a Trinitron tube fail as opposed to a shadow mask tube I wonder?
Old 7th Sep 2021, 9:49 pm   #42
agardiner
Octode

The problem is when a package does fall badly, different materials attempt to continue travelling at different velocities depending on their relative weight. So in your set, the metal work in the tube obviously moved differently to the glass etc. You know the set had a major fall given the PCB damage; the weight of the LOPT breaking the PCB there. The more the weight, the more likely it will cause materials to move.

No amount of packaging can prevent such problems, which fortunately don't happen too often. I recently shipped a large wooden radio which I packaged really well. It suffered a bad drop; the package was fine and didn't even look marked. The cabinet was fine but the glass dial had broken despite being well padded. Also one valve had failed internally with the metalwork being damaged despite the valve still being intact.

Annoying and frustrating, but fortunately uncommon as otherwise I just would not ship anything! I think I have worked out that packages above 12Kg are the ones at much higher risk.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:26 pm   #43
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
The problem is when a package does fall badly, different materials attempt to continue travelling at different velocities depending on their relative weight. So in your set, the metal work in the tube obviously moved differently to the glass etc. You know the set had a major fall given the PCB damage; the weight of the LOPT breaking the PCB there. The more the weight, the more likely it will cause materials to move.

No amount of packaging can prevent such problems, which fortunately don't happen too often. I recently shipped a large wooden radio which I packaged really well. It suffered a bad drop; the package was fine and didn't even look marked. The cabinet was fine but the glass dial had broken despite being well padded. Also one valve had failed internally with the metalwork being damaged despite the valve still being intact.

Annoying and frustrating, but fortunately uncommon as otherwise I just would not ship anything! I think I have worked out that packages above 12Kg are the ones at much higher risk.
I do think the courier bears some responsibility also and one could argue the amount of parcels they handle etc etc but there should be some level of care for all packages that are transported, especially when the word FRAGILE is written all over it.

this doesnt deter me from shipping sets though, just wont ship trinitron ones, i think once they are packaged correctly or as good as one can manage with available materials and a reasonable level of care by the courier it will arrive safely.

i'd say with my trinitron the courier simply dropped it straight down on the ground or hurled it into the van/truck and the shock sent the flyback upwards and the thin wire in the AG didnt like it much either.

ive had several sets brought over before and this is the only one with a dead tube. I've had sets that had board damage and repaired them, ive had sets with cabinet damage and repaired them, never had a slipped shadow mask, and the one time i ship an AG type of crt it gets damaged

Most of my sets have arrived in perfect condition with no work needed on them at all once they arrived.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:29 pm   #44
Red to black
Nonode

I am beginning to wonder if it landed tube face down, to wreck the PCB as much as it did, that would also account for the displaced internal grill.
As agardiner above suggests above the lopt has a fairly high mass wrt to the board.

Plus if it landed "feet first" as it were, or any other orientation come to that, then it would definitely have sheared the mounting studs/bolts for the CRT from the plastic cabinet, those Trinitron tubes are not light by any standard!
A shame though.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 11:19 pm   #45
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder if it landed tube face down, to wreck the PCB as much as it did, that would also account for the displaced internal grill.
As agardiner above suggests above the lopt has a fairly high mass wrt to the board.

Plus if it landed "feet first" as it were, or any other orientation come to that, then it would definitely have sheared the mounting studs/bolts for the CRT from the plastic cabinet, those Trinitron tubes are not light by any standard!
A shame though.
That makes more sense that what i thought, it must have landed on its screen, probably more than once. The seller even had the box labled This way up and, Front and Back on the packaging but UPS dont care about such labels and they knew it was an old TV.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 2:27 am   #46
ben
Dekatron

All this shipping damage... Is there no local rubbish tip where you could ask about getting such sets? (Some are more receptive than others as regards this). Or house clearance places? Freegle/Freecycle? Shpock website?

I just can't believe it is so hard to find CRT sets in Ireland that you have to risk the shipping, and then there's the expense and repair work added.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 10:40 am   #47
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
All this shipping damage... Is there no local rubbish tip where you could ask about getting such sets? (Some are more receptive than others as regards this). Or house clearance places? Freegle/Freecycle? Shpock website?

I just can't believe it is so hard to find CRT sets in Ireland that you have to risk the shipping, and then there's the expense and repair work added.
5-10 years ago it was so easy to get them they were on every site like Adverts/ DoneDeal. Now they are rare. Sometimes they do pop up though so i check every day.

I used to be able to get sets/electronics in general from the recycling bin at the local electrical shop Power City but they have gotten very strict in the last few years and dont allow anyone to take anything anymore.

In terms of shipping, most of my sets that i wanted to collect appeared on eBay so it was the only option, still i dont mind shipping them over once they are packaged properly and the overwhrlming majority arrive in perfect condtion.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 4:08 pm   #48
Maarten
Dekatron

With regards to the shipping, it might be a good idea to ship especially Trinitron sets, pre-dropped. That is, face down. It probably tumbled over due to the unfavourable weight distribution. Shipping face down might in rare cases get some AG wires tangled up, but the official fix to that is to put the set face up and strike reasonably gently with a rubber mallet. Reasonably gently can be quite hard as the front glass is made to withstand a constant pressure of about 1000kg.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 11:16 am   #49
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I've given the ICC5 an extra layer of packing just in case! I'll be in touch asap for you to arrange the courier.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 1:32 pm   #50
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I've given the ICC5 an extra layer of packing just in case! I'll be in touch asap for you to arrange the courier.
Brilliant, Thanks Glyn
Old 10th Sep 2021, 1:56 pm   #51
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Sad to say this is how the Trinitron saga ends....

it didnt sit right with me that i still hadnt gotten it to display a picture so took another look at the board, the smallest trace for the +15v line had a crack in it, the trace is so small that i kept missing it until i looked closer at the schematic layout, corrected the damaged trace and resoldered a few dodgy joints and voila, picture appeared.

If the tube wasnt snookered it would have an excellent picture and by the looks of it the tube (if it wasnt damaged) had a lot of life left in it. had it running for nearly an hour playing music videos and all functions are working perfect, just the damaged AG spoils it.

Happy to know that the work I did on the board could have saved this set if it wasnt for the tube.

Tube is an M60LCS60X if anyone has a spare floating about they dont need

devestated I have to scrap it now after everything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_130954.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	240963   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_131243.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	240964   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_131540.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	240965   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_132241.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	240966   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_133338.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	240967  

Old 10th Sep 2021, 2:18 pm   #52
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That is a real shame! Looks like there is some fault left over in the E-W circuit, looking at the bowing on the picture with the menu on screen. Does the rainbow effect change if you turn the set on it’s side or upside down? Maybe an idea to hang on to the set until you do find another, especially if the cabinet is in good condition, or sell it as modern art!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 10th Sep 2021, 2:32 pm   #53
slidertogrid
Octode

What a shame after all that work! If you intend getting another set it may be worth putting it to one side if you have the room in case the cabinet on this set is better or if you need any other parts?
Rich
Old 10th Sep 2021, 2:46 pm   #54
Red to black
Nonode

Yes it still has an EW fault, I too thought it might be better to hang on to it complete for now if you have the space.

Also be aware the BE3D used a few different lopts across that base chassis type and these were not interchangeable, we had to order the correct lopt for the given chassis by the number on the lopt.

Ps. There is a good write up on this chassis in the TV mags April and May 2001 issues, freely downloadable from here: https://worldradiohistory.com/Practi...n_Magazine.htm

Last edited by Red to black; 10th Sep 2021 at 2:53 pm.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 4:30 pm   #55
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Yes it still has an EW fault, I too thought it might be better to hang on to it complete for now if you have the space.

Also be aware the BE3D used a few different lopts across that base chassis type and these were not interchangeable, we had to order the correct lopt for the given chassis by the number on the lopt.

Ps. There is a good write up on this chassis in the TV mags April and May 2001 issues, freely downloadable from here: https://worldradiohistory.com/Practi...n_Magazine.htm
I dont think the E-W circuit is even operating, to check without having to open the set up again i went into the service menu and tried to adjust it and nothing happened at all, i think maybe there is another broken trace i missed. Not much point fixing it now seeing as the tube is shot.

I had that page with the television magazines bookmarked from a while ago, I love reading through the various old issues. Thanks for pointing out the BE3D issue though, wasnt sure which year/month it was covered under until you mentioned it.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 4:33 pm   #56
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Does the rainbow effect change if you turn the set on it’s side or upside down?

Regards
Lloyd
I've turned it on both sides and the picture stays the same, still has that rainbow stripe effect, havnt turned it upside down because i dont wanna risk the board coming loose and undoing everything.
Closed Thread