UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2004, 9:26 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Ferguson 352U Parts

When restoring the Ferguson 352U radio, and requiring spare parts for it from other 352U scrap sets (sometimes difficult to find !) - a good source of spares is from the model 342BU battery/mains set. Although there are many differences in the valves used and other parts, the i.f.t's are compatible. The second i.f.t in my 352U had gone high in d.c resistance (11 ohms - should have been about 7 or 8 ohms). The 1st i.f.t measured the correct resistance. Removing an i.f.t from the 342BU radio, solved the problem of looking for scrap 352U radios.

I recommend installing a silicon rectifier inside the metal rectifier casing (after removing the internal parts of the old rectifier), and adding a forward limiting resistor (outside the can) in the anode of the new rectifier. The contacts in these old Westinghouse 18.RA. 1-1-16-1 rectifiers can be quite noisy in operation due to bad contact.

Best regards
Mike

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 17th Feb 2005 at 8:40 pm.
Closed Thread