UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2021, 3:44 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Firefox problem ??

Mods- FYI.
Just tried to log on and got the message below.
From the content of the additional box it appeared that FF had a problem with the site certificate. Personally I trust the integrity of this site, but perhaps something to look out for. As in the message, I'm just notifying you of the problem.

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.vintage-radio.net. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the web site, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the web site’s administrator about the problem.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 4:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Firefox problem ??

There is nothing wrong with the site security credentials that I'm aware of. An expired security certificate would affect everybody accessing the site. Are your date and time settings correct?

Try restarting FF. If that doesn't fix it, try rebooting your system.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 4:10 pm   #3
John M0GLN
Octode

As you can tell I'm on the site at this very moment and I'm using Firefox with no problems.

John
Old 6th Sep 2021, 6:01 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

There is a problem with that link. I suggest you delete the bookmark (if that's what you're using) clear the cache and create a new one.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 6:05 pm   #5
dsergeant
Octode

Just change your bookmark to https://
Old 6th Sep 2021, 7:20 pm   #6
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
There is a problem with that link. I suggest you delete the bookmark (if that's what you're using) clear the cache and create a new one.
If you mean the link in Oldcodgers post #1 I've just tried it and it works OK for me.

John
Old 6th Sep 2021, 7:52 pm   #7
paulsherwin

The forum will redirect an HTTP request to an HTTPS encrypted connection. That may be where the problem lies.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 8:16 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Adding HTTPS does correct that link, but why has it happened now, after presumably being OK before? Firefox may be getting more security conscious.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 11:11 pm   #9
Andrew2
Nonode

I've just come here via my usual 'favourites' link and it all seems to be in order (using FF 91.0.2)
Old 7th Sep 2021, 2:03 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

I may be able to answer my own query. Recent updates enable an HTTPS only option by default, so old bookmarks can return that message. It can be overridden, but that's not a good idea.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 4:22 pm   #11
Oldcodger
Nonode

One off problem, but nothing gets fixed ( from my experience if it's not reported). No reflection on forum admin. My post was a warning that PERHAPS something outside VF is amiss, so Admin and posters might look out.
Admittedly, my bookmark is eons old.
Paul S - that's what FF 91.02 told me, that site cert was out of date. Post was more of a friendly update ,so that if something was wrong you've got an update.
Had a look at my bookmark and it's definately https://.
Possibly a one off.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 8th Sep 2021 at 4:27 pm.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 4:43 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Browsers are in something of a paranoia spiral at the moment, led by Google and Chrome. They quite often report 'dangerous' sites in a way that's supposedly user friendly but is often highly misleading.

There was nothing wrong with your starting this thread, and the mods are always happy to check that problems reported by users aren't being caused by the forum.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 5:16 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Using FF on my main PC (running Linux) l sometimes get similar 'warnings' which I attribute to stale bookmarks and cached content.

Doing a 'delete all cached content ' and 'delete all cookies ' generally gets things back on the straight and narrow.
Closed Thread